The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
being out all winter following the hounds has many joys besides good chases and killing cats. Today i found a cat track on the mountain and saw something i never saw before. i have found dead deer that i suspected were killed by cats and i know they can. today i was following a track along the woods road for a little way before to put the dogs on it. i saw were the cat sat a long time, shifted over a few feet and sat again then creeped a little, loaded up his back legs and went into a sprint. he went across the road and leaped from the road into the brush. the same place he went into the brush was a small deer track. (at the time it didnt mean anything) then there was snow and brush all kicked up in about a 3 yard circle and huge chunks of deer hair on the ground and hanging from the brush. soon after the cat was walking a log and the deer was running up the hill. it was pretty neat to see it written in the snow. you could read it as plain as if it was in a newspaper.
he didnt succeed in killing the deer but he did kill my legs as i followed the dogs all day and he made 2 good hounds look pretty foolish for several hours. we never got a look at him but it was a great day.

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
very cool! I have pics from a winter a few years ago of 2 "smaller" cats and their big mama hanging in my corner. then a few minutes later they leave and a small deer shows up. three mornings later I found the small doe about 50yds inside that corner and the tracks showed the story. two cats came from different ends while the big one jumped from a tree. just an awesome find

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
Good story, thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I love following tracks of any kind and trying to come up with a story... it really is like reading a book.

Thanks for sharing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts