The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
41 - 60 of 382 Posts

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Down another three pounds at this mornings' weigh-in. That's 328 down to 312 since 1/8/13; 4.9%.

Next week I'll recheck my 'fitness score' at the gym. I'm certain my numbers will be much better than at the start. I do chart my progress in a spreadsheet that I update every Tuesday after my morning weigh-in.

Anyone that's done any amount of research on weight loss has seen the whole 'lose 1-2 pounds per week' "rule". I've dug deeper and want better. Didn't seem to make much sense for someone that's 100+ pounds over weight to have such goals as it's a 'one-size-fits-all' type of approach. When you're this size that doesn't 'fit' at all. I'm aiming for 1% loss per week. I'm pretty close to that on my chart.

In the last 7 weeks I've found out what my body likes and doesn't in regards to losing weight. LOTS of water, normal portions, easy on the carbs, lots of cardio and a good weight routine. One weekend we seemed to have nothing but carbs(just worked out that way somehow) and I ended up gaining 3 pounds by Tuesday morning. I am on no particular diet at all. I eat what I want to, but keep it to normal portions instead of two or three or four or even more! The calorie reduction plus the work-outs are working! I know there will be a stall at some point...it's inevitable. I'll adjust when that happens.

For now, I'm melting....and it's great!

·
Registered
872 Posts
Good work and I agree with everything you noted.

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
I am fellas!

Didn't get to the gym until 10pm last night, but I got there!

I've been focusing more on cardio than strength lately, but hit the weights last night too. Doesn't take long to lose strength you've gained....so it seems.

I think I'm going to revamp my training a little. I've been switching it up every couple weeks to stay fresh...it's working on that aspect, but I haven't lifted in a couple weeks, just cardio. I'm thinking 2-3 days of weights per week and 5-6 days cardio per week. Eating right has been far, far easier than it ever has been for me. That's the biggest surprise to me given past experience. That, and after two months going to the gym or otherwise exercising almost every day I miss it on a day when I can't get there!

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Three oh....three oh ni....crap 310 this morning. A weekend visiting friends, eating all kinds of good garbage food, and consuming waaaay too much alcohol sabotaged my losses for last week. I should have been about 308 this week. My fault, I don't regret it. Had a great time with friends we only see a couple times a year. New week, new time to shine!

Signed up for the 'weight loss challenge' at my gym. I'm going to win it and get a few free months' membership!

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Life happens...don't feel bad about enjoying yourself on occasion. Just pick back up this week. I think too many times people figure that one bad weekend off the wagon is reason to give up.

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Agreed!

I was back on track Sunday night. Wasn't much to do really, just go back to normal.

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
The weather was gorgeous this weekend. Hiked 3.5 miles on Saturday. Rode about 4 miles after that with my son. Did a little yard work and lounged around yesterday though.

Feels good to be back on my bike! I hope to be on my bike a lot this week!

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Well, the biking just isn't going to happen this week with this weather! Maybe it'll be half-decent this weekend! Still hitting the gym hard.

I think I mentioned I signed up at the gym for their weight loss challenge. I weigh-in there on Monday afternoons....my worst time of day and day of the week by far! So last Monday at my initial weigh-in I came in at 320.8lbs....I attribute it to two things, 1) different scale & 2) wearing clothes. No big deal as long as it's consistent. Weighed-in yesterday....316.2lbs! I wear the same exact clothes to try to keep it consistent. I'll take a 4.6lbs loss any time! I was complaining to the trainer that it wasn't going to be a good number....I don't mind being wrong sometimes!

My scale this morning showed 307lbs...down 3lbs from last week! Whatever I'm doing is working....and I'm enjoying it. It's nice to see the losses. It's even nicer to enjoy the gym!

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Pens weren't playing very well in the 1st last night and I wasn't happy. I was going to take a night off at the gym...it was a cardio day. I decided I can watch them stink it up from the elliptical just a well as on the couch so I went to the gym during first intermission. Went pretty hard on that elliptical for the duration of the 2nd period and then did a set of curls just 'cause. Got home for the beginning of the 3rd....almost turned it off and then they came back from a 2-0 deficit to win it 3-2 in regulation....putting those 3 goals in in just over 4 minutes!

A good workout and a sweet, come-from-behind victory for my team to end the night. Life is good!

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
I said the heck with it at the end of the second period and went to bed. My wife was watching it in the bedroom and I was woken to a loud WooHoo after Kunitz scored...I had to stay up and watch the rest after that.

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
The scale at the gym lies! Weighed-in yesterday after work and was only down .5lbs for the week on their scales. Did my own weigh-in this morning at home as I do every Tuesday morning....down 3lbs from last week to 304.

I'm going to bust my butt this week and try to lose 4lbs. I want to see 300 on the scale in a week....we'll see if I can make that happen, it won't be for lack of trying if I don't!

Might even watch the Pens from the elliptical again....that seemed to work out last time!

·
Registered
13,362 Posts
Way to go Jason!! The more you lose, the even more you want to lose. Wait until you break 300, you will be like I want that 275-25-200 and so on. I always look in incraments of 5 pounds at a time. It may take 2-3 weeks each time, but keep plugging away man

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
I'm working my butt off(literally) aiming for 260 to start July. I'll be heading to Cali to visit my brother and want to surprise the bejesus out of him! I'm on track to do that so barring any injury or catastrophic event I'll be working to get there.

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Oh, I'm kind of doing the same thing as you....5lbs blocks. I have some goals and some incremental milestones that I'm looking at. Less than 303lbs(next week!) and I drop a category from MORBID OBESITY to Obesity Class 2. Then it's 5lbs blocks again until I'm into Obesity Class 1(264lbs) and then just overweight(227lbs) where I'll likely never leave. Not because I don't want to be in the 'normal weight' class, but because my build will not allow me into that category(at least I don't think). I have a large, barrel shaped frame and carry a lot of muscle all over. Normal weight for my frame is 'supposed to' top out at 189lbs and I just can't imagine that. My goal right now is 225lbs....I'm thinking about trying to get down to 200-215lbs, but that's a long ways away.

·
Registered
19,941 Posts
I weighed myself this morning and low and behold, I lost 7 pounds this week!

I've really been watching what I eat. Lots of chicken, fruit, fish and whole grain or rye bread. I also watch my calorie intake. I haven't even began exercising yet and I've lost almost 30 lbs since the first of the year.

·
Registered
13,362 Posts
Buckethead said:
I weighed myself this morning and low and behold, I lost 7 pounds this week!

I've really been watching what I eat. Lots of chicken, fruit, fish and whole grain or rye bread. I also watch my calorie intake. I haven't even began exercising yet and I've lost almost 30 lbs since the first of the year.

41 - 60 of 382 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.