The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
19,941 Posts
Bean sprouts for bear camp it is!

Good for you, Slappy. I too took a good, long look in the mirror a few weeks ago and realized I didn't like what I was seeing and how I felt about myself. I started my diet and exercise two weeks ago. I licked the smoking thing almost 6 years ago. Like you, working on the hooch consumption now.

·
Registered
19,941 Posts
I weighed myself this morning and low and behold, I lost 7 pounds this week!

I've really been watching what I eat. Lots of chicken, fruit, fish and whole grain or rye bread. I also watch my calorie intake. I haven't even began exercising yet and I've lost almost 30 lbs since the first of the year.

·
Registered
19,941 Posts
Keep at it. I got myself refocused and back at it. I'm down almost 10 pounds over the last two weeks and I've been running and walking 4.5 miles and 2 miles on alternating days. I started walking over a month ago but got more serious about my diet about 2 weeks ago. Last night I ran 1.5 miles straight of the 2 miles. The night before, about half of the 4.5 miles alternating between running and walking throughout. I have the wind to run much farther but I've been having significant joint pain in my left hip and some aches in both knees. I'm shooting for losing 50 pounds and I'm hoping the weight loss will alleviate some of those aches and pains in my lower body. If anything, I'll be ready and in shape for bear season this year.

·
Registered
19,941 Posts
I lost 4 more pounds this week despite not being able to walk much. I'm starting to think its my lower back that is causing my hips to hurt because either one or the other will hurt at varying times. My lower back has been bothering me a good deal lately.

·
Registered
19,941 Posts
Move the not drinking thing up to the Tuesday after the party if you plan on stopping by for a visit Monday.

Of course, you'll have to behave yourself a bit. I'm thinking venison kabobs on the grill.

·
Registered
19,941 Posts
Down to 267.2. Lost another 4.4 pounds this week. I got an appointment with the Chiropractor tommorrow to see if I can get my lower back and pelvis realigned. After talking to several people who have had similar simptoms, I'm thinking this is what it is. My hips alternate in hurting and the pain is radiating the whole way down my leg. I've also been getting back spasms. Hopefully he'll get me straightened out and I can get back to walking.

·
Registered
19,941 Posts
Just overdid it. I actually feel pretty good this AM. My hips didn't hurt at all last night or today. Other than some muscle soreness, I'm in good shape. I thought for sure I'd be up all night with hip pains. I go back tomorrow for another adjustment. I'll be glad to get back to my walking routine.

·
Registered
19,941 Posts
I needed the chiropractor to get me where I can exercise again. I went this morning for another visit. I feel about 2 inches taller and no more pain in my hips. I'm going to take the weekend off and start walking again Monday.

·
Registered
19,941 Posts
I just downloaded an App called "Lose It" on my Iphone. It tracks your calories, gives you caloric content of eleventeen million grocery and restaurant foods, etc. It even has a barcode scanner that will read a product and give you all the particulars on it and enter it into your page. So if there's a brand of food you eat frequently that isn't in there, you scan the barcode and it enters it in. You punch in your height and weight along with your goal weight and it tells you how many calories you should take in per day. You punch in what you ate and it calculates your intake. It has a feature for exercise (even has hunting in there) and how many calories you can expect to burn for any certain activity. For example when I walk, I put in how many miles I walked and at what pace (I have another App called "Map My Walk" that gives me the distance and average speed). It will then give you an estimate of how many calories you burned for that activity. I've never tracked my food before. I was suprised how much of the right things you can eat in a day. When I went to bed last night I wasn't the least bit hungry and still ended up almost 300 calories under my allotment.

·
Registered
19,941 Posts
Not entirely. You just can't drink past your calorie allotment. If you eat a little less and bank some calories, you can still get a hoot on once in awhile.

·
Registered
19,941 Posts
Just follow that Lose It app. I lost another 3 lbs this week. Down to 261. I managed to run 2 miles continuously last night but had to walk the second two. The first two miles I ran were mostly uphill. I had the wind for the rest but my legs were like, "You're kidding, right!?!" I'm expanding my walk to 5.5 miles tonight and I'm going to try to run the last 2.5 (its all either level or down hill)

·
Registered
19,941 Posts
I hear ya! I'm ready to chase one down and tackle it. I did a 6 mile run/walk yesterday. walked the first 3 then ran the last 3. I plan on doing it again tonight. Although "lumbering" is probably a more accurate description than "running".

·
Registered
19,941 Posts
Keep at it, Slappy. Make yourself use that Lose it app, it will definitely help. I hit a bit of as plateau at the low 250's. Seemed like I was only losing around .5 lbs a week because it was too crappy outside to run. I got that elliptical off of my sister and dropped almost 5 pounds in a week. I was down to 248 this AM. I hate the elliptical! That thing kicks my butt. And I hate working out inside but Its better than not doing anything. On the upside, its more physically taxing than running so I can't wait to see how well I do when I'm able to get back out and run.

·
Registered
19,941 Posts
I've been using that lose it app for a few months now. I started diet and exercise around September. I've lost 50 lbs overall (295 at my heaviest) in the last year as I would diet for a bit then get lazy. I've lost 40 since I started getting real serious about it. I've lost at least 25 lbs using the lose it app. I never realized how many calories I took in until I started using the App. My initial goal was 225 but I changed it to 200 because it really has started getting easy to lose weight and exercise. I'm 6'1" but I have a big frame, barrel chest. ("Corn fed" is what I call it.) so I carry 225 pretty well but I want to try to get to the weight I was when I was a sophomore in high school. I was 235 when I was in the best shape of my life but that entailed heavy lifting and a bunch of exercise. At 45 years old, I don't think I can throw around the weight I could when I was in my teens and 20's. My weight loss has been pretty consistant but I did kind of plateau getting from 260 to 250. Once I got through that, the weight started coming off more consistantly again.

·
Registered
19,941 Posts
You're not obese. You're voluptuous.

Right now I'm eating 1965 calories a day. If I exercise, it reduces from my calorie allotment and I can eat more. My intake reduces as my weight reduces. Whenever I enter my new weight into that "Lose It" app, it automatically reduces my calorie intake usually by 5 cal/pound lost. I've been consistently losing between 1.5 and 2.5 pounds a week using the app.

·
Registered
19,941 Posts
Nice to be thought of but I haven't drank Beam since the Japanese bought them out a month or so ago. I'm sipping the Jameson Black label on ice these days. I've cut my drinking to one night a week on dart night. Since its a school night (Thurs) I tend not to over do it. I'm hovering right above the 230's this AM (240.6 I should have taken a deuce before I weighed myself this AM). I should be in them by this weekend. I tend to lose 7 or 8 pounds quickly when I'm at the top of the number then languish getting those last couple pounds off to move me into the next bracket. Warmer days ahead so I'll be running outside again very soon.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.