1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5,176 Posts
the tree looks like a poplar

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
the berries that i see that are orange is called bittersweet, and yes it is the same stuff they use to make bittersweet chocolate. it will not harm the tree just grow like a weed.

·
Banned
2,894 Posts
The tree is one of the aspens. They are called popple or poplar in some areas. It is a member of the true poplar family.

The blue fruit may be what we call green brier.

The red fruit?how big is it and can you eat it?
The fruit looks bigger than things I see growng in western PA.
-The tree it the only one I'm sure of-

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I never tried to eat the red fruit but I Do Know Grouse LOVE IT.It may look bigger cause I was trying to get close but it is about the size of a wild grape or smaller

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
fresh bittersweet is used in floral holiday arrangements and holiday decorations. check with your local designer shops and florists.

·
Registered
687 Posts
ahh jwe funny you say that,I live next to a nursery. Every year they ask if they can have some type of tree/ bush for holiday decorations. I bet thats what they want.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
I may be wrong here, but some people refer to aspen as poplar.

It looks like aspen to me.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
It is aspen or (poplar) either bigtooth or small tooth not sure but probably bigtooth aspen. Quick growing tree spreads by root growth excellent for grouse budding, the tree shown is a very old aspen and the best thing you could do for grouse is cut any old trees like that and then new younger trees will sprout. They are very fast growing trees and that one is probably about twenty years old. If it is your property cut the big one. Studies show that the single most advantageous conservation pratice for grouse is uneven age aspen stands.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
To regenerate aspen, winter is the best time to cut, right?

·
Registered
454 Posts
The purple/bluish berries are called Privet. I had to scour the internet to find out what they were...we have them everywhere around here. Invasive species from China and Europe dependent upon specific species. Berries are toxic from what I know. The orange flowered vine is def. Bittersweet.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Aspen Info- if grouse are part of your wildlife goals, you should know the following: Aspen (both quaking and big-toothed) are either male or female (unlike most other trees) Both are short lived, fast growing trees. What you see as a grove of aspen are usually one or more clones. Clones are individual trees that have a extensive root system and many individual above ground stems. If you look carefully, you can often see the larger "mother" tree with varying ages of younger stems surrounding it. Young dense stands make good drumming cover and also good cover/feeding areas for broods. But even more important, at least up here in NY and through out the northern states, is the important role that aspen have as winter survival food. The male aspen trees have very nutritious flower buds. They are easily identified by their coarse, fat apperance in winter. These are the trees you have probably noticed grouse "budding" (feeding) on during the winter months. So when selecting clones to cut, it is better to leave the male clones. Also, when cutting aspen, it is usually better to cut the entire clone. This keeps disease from spreading within the remaining stems. Once a clone is cut, the root system will send up tons of sprouts, which will gradually become your next crop of aspen.

you should be able to find pictures of male vs. female buds on line.

And yes, a lot of folks refer to the aspens as poplars. It is actually correct, as the genus name is Populus and many others in this genus are referred to as poplars. The other species referred to as poplar is Yellowpoplar, or Tuliptree which is in another genus.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts