The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys my little bro has been askin me what gun he should get for christmas 7mm-08 or 25-06 and he wanted me to ask u guys by the way he dosent like recoil but he will deal with it hes 13 and is 105 pounds

·
Registered
425 Posts
The 7mm-08 should be a great choice, always liked the little Rem. Mod 7,,, My opinion only

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yea but our price limit is like 400 and he cant find any that he thinks are nice for that price

·
Registered
720 Posts
I hunted for years with a 35 Rem, then a 30-06. I won a 7mm08 in a raffle and love it. It is light and packs a good punch without much recoil. Shell are Expensive. I would visit some local gun stores and see what they have in used that would meet your finances. Also I would advertise in a local shopper. With the economy being what it is some people may want to sell so they have some extra $ for Christmas. Sad but true. My dad used to tell me when I was a kid that if anybody wanted a deal on a rifle he should go into a bar after season. Great deals were made

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
I think the Weatherby Vanguards sell for @$399 and are available in 25-06. Either cartridge would do well for him.

·
Registered
846 Posts
HunterRayJr said:
yea but our price limit is like 400 and he cant find any that he thinks are nice for that price
Everyone has their own definition of 'nice'. If you gave some more info on your bro's definition, you may get some options more in line rather than all over the board. In that range new, some above some below:
Marlin xs-7
savage edge or the new version of it
stevens 200 if you find one
weatherby vanguard
TC icon
savage 110/111 maybe
marlin/mossberg lever

If you don't mind used, and your definition of nice doesn't fit the above, watch these boards and other ones, the bargain papers and what not starting 12/12 for almost anything. I bought a beautiful model 70 in .243 with scope and wood for a good deal under your target, but that was summer time. After deer season is a great time for a new (to you) rifle.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
um he said he likes the walnut stock and it needs to b bolt action

·
Registered
653 Posts
You are describing my son now 12 exactly ,he loves shooting his sisters handed down youth model seven in 243. It shoots great with most of the factory major brand names 100gr. or 95gr. Settled on fusion 95gr. they hold together great and always exit. rem. 100gr. did not. 10 deer between my 2 kids shot from 20yrds. to 175yrds. only 1 made it 50yrds. most dropped at the shot. I personaly like mt 2506 with 100gr, BT's but I can't argue the success I've witnessed first hand. Don't say he'll deal with the recoil you could give him a flinch it could take years to overcome. I've seen it first hand with other kids and some friends wives.

·
Registered
819 Posts
25/06 loaded with 100 grain bullets excellent for deer larger game 120 s will do the job. another option is a 6.5x55 , not a lot of recoil and excellent for larger game . used for moose in europe

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Also it would help if u guys knew of any gun websites

·
Banned
2,894 Posts
If you shoot factory rounds, you may want to consider the price of shells. Generally the more popular calibers are less expensive so you may shoot it more often.

For small bodies, the .243 is a pretty good choice even though it's not one of the two you're considering.

·
Registered
638 Posts
if he's not handloading, the good old 308 win. would be my choice. lots of factory folder, cheap. well cheap considerin' lol.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
The other option would be to buy a Savage/Stevens in .243 and rebarrel it to a bigger caliber as he gets bigger/older. I have a new 7mm-08 barrel that cost $45 that I'll be switching a .243 over to after deer season. The synthetic stock of the cheaper models could be switched out down the road as funds came available.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts