The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Men, the dry battery in my sportsman is killing me. Took it to shop and is $150 to replace. Not trying to be cheap but ouch. What I understand is the dry batteries take a different charging cycle. How do I check the battery? Battery is causing machine starter to just click. With a trickle charge of 2 amp machine fires right up.
Any thoughts would help. Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
309 Posts
not sure what u mean "dry battery"..For my sportsman, I bought what was OE, added battery acid to it, sealed it, charged it, and was good 2 go. U dont have to added any more water or electrolite....Also, i think if you shop the net, you will find a better price on a battery, and may include free shipping....most recreational batteries, last only about 5 years, same as automotive.

·
Registered
10,688 Posts
A dry battery is one like a regular D cell or AA, no liquid electrolyte. I have never seen any type of dry battery used in an ATV.

A lot of guys have gone to gel batteries on ATV. They have a liquid electrolyte but won’t leak.

Could the shop have meant that the water in the battery evaporated and resulted in a dry battery? If you have a lead acid battery and it is dry that is your problem. You will need to add water.

BTW based on your description if it is not the battery I would suspect dirty terminals, a bad cable or a bad solenoid.

ATV / motorcycle batteries are sold a Sam's Club. They run between $30 & $70.

·
Registered
9,479 Posts
He is probably talkin about a glass mat battery.No liquid at all.Gel batteries don,t have fluid liquid either.There is a shop in Washington that I am sure can help you out.I,ll p.m.you the name.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts