The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to spend up to $6000 on a hunting vehicle. I have narrowed it down to a wrangler, and older toyota tundra or and older F-150. Anyone have anything specific I should be looking at in those vehicles?

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Why do you go from something that has no bed space to a full size truck? In my opinion you are missing the cream of the crop. I would be looking for something like a Tacoma or Ranger.

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
I'm 6'3" and always had the extended cab, 6'6" would be tight. I cant see you fitting in a jeep, you could cut the soft top out for more head room though

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
for 6 grand you will be most likely getting something at least 13-14 years old. crawl all over it. lots of rot in that vintage truck. i started out with that number in mind and all i found were peoples problems. going up another 3-5 grand puts you in a better place but still gotta watch the rot.

·
Registered
12,676 Posts
If you like the Jeep Wrangler but need more room due to your height, take a look at the older 2 door Tahoes. I have a 1996 and it is a hunting machine. I use to own a Jeep CJ-7, and it was fun, but the Tahoe is awesome and I can camp in it by myself.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, I know what I am getting for $6000, trying to be picky and not rush I to anything. I have to look up the tundra problem, I saw that somewhere else. I think tacomas had the same problem as well at sometime

·
Registered
644 Posts
pumpgun said:
for 6 grand you will be most likely getting something at least 13-14 years old. crawl all over it. lots of rot in that vintage truck. i started out with that number in mind and all i found were peoples problems. going up another 3-5 grand puts you in a better place but still gotta watch the rot.
gotta watch for rot,rust, and other peoples problems in all used vehicles. just got to look, look, and look some more.

·
Registered
10,309 Posts
there are deals out there , depends how patient you are and have time to be

·
Registered
11,143 Posts
I had a 2000 Tundra up until November. It had 248K miles on it and ran fine. Yes, there is a frame rust issue but Toyota stands behind their products. They inspected my frame annually for a couple years until it failed the frame inspection. At about 230K miles they replaced the entire frame and provided me with a rental, all at no charge.
The frame recalls effected the 2000 - 2003 Tundras.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I found a 1994 ford F-150 extended cab, 145,000 miles. 5 speed with a V-8. Does anyone know if there is anything I need to pay attention to with these trucks?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts