The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I been lookin into a new camo hunting outfit. Alot to choose from, thats for sure. Been lookin online at BassPro(in store also) and Cabelas. Basically, they are the only two places I shop anymore for stuff like this. Two sets ive been lookin at are

Cabelas GORE-TEX® MT050® Whitetail Extreme™ Parka

and

ArcticShield® H7 Pro Series Jacket

They're just the parkas, but ill be gettin parka and bibs. Does anyone have any experience with either of them? I like the idea of the GoreTex in the MT050, and am wondering how waterproof the ArcticShields are. Are they both lightweight? If anyone has any experience on either set, please let me know. Thanks alot.

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
I've got experience with them both. The water proofing on the arctic shield is ok, but the breathability suffers. I warm up easy, and I would sweat my butt off in that jacket when I worke it! The MT050 is the better of the two in my opinion. You can't go wrong with gore-tex. However, the jacket is a little heavier than I prefer, but it will keep you warm. The only other draw back with both jackets is, in extreme cold, they both get a little bit noisy, but nothing major.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Borden. The waterproofing is just "ok" with the Arcticshield? Can you explain? I sit all day long, whether its raining/snowing/whatever. I dont wanna get wet.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
i learned my lession about 4 years ago when i got my newest set of orange.. i got hush hide its water proof and wind proof and it wasent too much i think 150$ for each .. but if i was doing it again i would get some thing high end thats very lite the stuff i got weighs more then me its warm but heavy if i deside to walk or help with the drives i have to take the set off .. on that note next year ill be looking for a nice shell thats gortex that offers a lot of different things even if i have to pay 400 for the set it would be worth it .. and then go layers of higher end items..
the old set of semi decent thermals with pants and then orange bibs ..thermal top long sleave shirt flanal and jacket just isent cuting it..

i think im gona go with a set of cold gear.. high end thermals.. set of decent thin windproof water proof flease and a nice gortex windproof shell. and weigh about 30 lbs lighter lol..

·
Registered
746 Posts
I just bought the Rivers West Ambush Jacket and Bibs at Shyda's. This stuff if nice and a lifetime warranty. I have some Cabelas and Browning Gore Tex also. I will let you all know how it is in the rain. It seems very well made.

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
If your gonna hunt mainly cold weather...be sure to ck out good ole wool! I have owned tons of Goretex, DryPlus & what have ya and when those temp drop...gets noisy. i have gone 360 & am wearing what my Dad suited me in back in 1964...wool!! Whut the heck did he know anyways!! LOL!!

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
wool does rule!! I have been wearing wool jackets and over shirts since I could wear them. just stay away from the burrlocks

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys. Ive never had wool, besides socks. Dad had woolrich at one point, and it always seemed heavy to me. I dont know if thats the case these days or not, I cant say. Ill have to take your words for it. At this time, im going to pass on wool. Thanks again though.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I just bought Rivers West Sawtooth Mountain Parka at Shyda's. I'm heading to CO for elk next week. I'll let you know how it works...Jeff

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
I wore it twice in october rain storms during archery season. It kept me dry from the rain, but I only sat half a day both times, however, when I was walking in/out to my stand, I got moist form the vapor not being able to escape the clothing. Like I said, I heat up quickly, and the breathability isn't all that superb. If you don't sweat alot, I think you'll be okay. If you do, I'd stay away from it. But that's just my opinion

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
pahick said:
Thanks guys. Ive never had wool, besides socks. Dad had woolrich at one point, and it always seemed heavy to me. I dont know if thats the case these days or not, I cant say. Ill have to take your words for it. At this time, im going to pass on wool. Thanks again though.

Your welcome!! Just trying to same you a few years of testing all the wunderful the hi-tech stuff after which you will likely end up with wool anyway as I & so many others have!

·
Registered
106 Posts
I replaced my Woolrich jacket and pants with the MT050 WE parka and bibs two seasons ago. No regrets yet, but time will tell.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok, update. I didnt like the MT050 clothing I looked at over at Cabelas. It seems WAY too heavy compared to everything else I looked at. While there, I look at the ArcticShield stuff. They didnt have the H7 series. So I couldnt make a decision on that stuff. The other day we went to Bass Pro and I looked at their Goretex stuff. I ended up buying their Extreme Elements parka and bibs..

Extreme Elements Parka

Extreme Elements Bibs

I dont know how they will be on the stand, but they seem very lightweight. Does anyone have these items? If so, whats your take? Thanks.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I bought a similair coat there last year from the 33% off rack. It is goretex but only has 150g thinsulate in the arms and 100g in the body. No complaints from me. Works good with a fleece vest and long sleeve underarmour cold gear. Didn't get wet and stayed warm longer. Nothing is a cure all for sitting all day in rifle season, but it made things tolerable for a loinger period of time. I would like to know how the bibs hold up. Thinking about new ones this year.

·
Registered
6,379 Posts
brewyak says-
<span style="color: #660000"> just stay away from the burrlocks</span>

to remove burrdocks, boogielice and sticktights...
Use your hunting knife or pocket knife and just scrape off

·
Registered
5,555 Posts
I have two different outfits, I have the Cabelas Berber fleece in outfitter camo and a ton of Under Armour. I love both of them and wear them both quite a bit.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I own a ArticShield jacket waterproof,windproof & breathable. I really like it keeps me dry a cuts the wind. My cold weather outfit is the Browning Goer-Tex 4 in 1 hydro fleece hooded parka in blaze camo. I have never been cold or wet with the Browning outfit its also windproof. My base layer is military poly underwear with wool or fleece outer layer.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Just got back from hunting. The rivers west parka and pants were great. They kept me warm even with the wind blowing pretty good. No elk though...Jeff

·
Registered
203 Posts
If you go to Sortsmensliquidation.com and look under Brands, go to realtree and there is a nice gor-tex outfit in there. I dont know much about it, but realtree and gor-tex is always good

1 - 19 of 19 Posts