The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I'm new to this site but have been lurking in the background for years. I get a lot of great information from this site and hope you can help me. I think I murdered my apple trees and need some advice.
Spring of 2007 I planted 15 bare root apple trees I purchased from Troups. All survived and were doing well. This spring I purchased 4 pear trees in one galon containers from Lowes and planted them as well.
Sometime around mid/late June I decided to spray them for bugs. In my garage I had two identical sprayers, one with insectiside and one with, you guessed it "roundup".
Well, yes I did....I sprayed all my trees with roundup. I didnt realize it until a week later. Now, before we go further, I know I'm an idiot....you don't have to tell me that....I know. After all the leaves fell off I cut them back approx 12" to the main trunk.
My question is this. Do any of these trees have a chance or should I just pull them and start fresh next year. Any help you can give me would be appreciated.
By the way, I have now clearly marked each sprayer. Thanks!

·
Registered
530 Posts
ehh tough to say, but why not let them have a chance?? wouldnt hurt to try and flood them with water to try to dilute it, may be late for that though

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
that [censored], id wait a year. i cant imagine you killed the roots

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
I'll tell you this, my buddy barely hit his one apple tree with Roundup and it was a goner. I'd guess your's are done for as you probably applied it liberally thinking it was for insects.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Hey, at least the soil is still loose where you planted them.

Always a bright side.........

Those trees from Trupes are a pretty good deal.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've planted about 40 trees from Trupes over the years and only lost 3. Not counting the ones I just murdered!!Now my record is 22 of 40....
Looks like I'll be placing another order in the spring.

·
Registered
220 Posts
If they are grafted trees-even if they were to stump sprout they would likely be from below graft and not produce true-the root stock could actually be crabapple of some sort.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Like Dutch said, upside is at least the holes are loose...

That really stinks....srry for your luck. Where is this nursery you'all are mentioning?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts