The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wasn't sure where to post this.
A few times throughout the year I miss him pretty bad and hunting season is one. I can still remember when I was very little...by the time I got out of bed he would already be back from hunting and a buck would be hanging on the porch on the first day of buck.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Yep; I know the feeling well. I miss my dad alot and think about him every day. My mom is still doing well and I can't help worry about her constantly.

After my dad died I didn't hunt for years but then a couple of brothers got me back into it again. It never has been the same without dad though. It's not about the hunting anymore just time spent in the woods with friends and family; I guess it never really was about the hunting to begin with.

·
Registered
5,590 Posts
My Dad passed away in Dec 2001, seems like yesterday. Sure miss him.

Yes you are right, when I get my rifles out is when the memories come back the strongest.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
My Dad has been gone 13 years. I'm in the same trade as my Dad. I learned from him. At least once a day when I have a problem, I think what would Dad do and a solution seemingly pops into my head. So I think of him daily. Hunting season is allways difficult.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I now how you feel my mom just passed away on tuesday morning and we had the funeral yesterday and today I really miss her just laid around dident feel like doing anything my wife said why dont you go bowhunting and the first time in my life I dident feel like going I sure miss her

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
It is tough. My Dad passed away May 30th, 2004. My parent divorced when I was 6, and although I saw him on weekends, My first year Hunting in 1979, was a week away with Dad every year.

I always looked forward to trips to camp. I was fortunate to have a week of hunting turkey and fishing with him 3 weeks before he died. Looking back, I think he knew his time was short, even though it came sooner than expected.

One of the things I miss most about him is he seemed to be the glue that kept everyone together at camp. Since he is gone it seems that everyone is becoming more distant.

Although I still love to hunt and fish, I sometimes find it difficult being in the woods wihout Dad nearby, and then my hunt ends up short.

·
Super Moderator
26,944 Posts
It's more than eight years since my Dad died, and there has yet to be a day go by thay I don't think about him. The hardest times are certainly when I'm hunting or fishing. But anytime I feel blue about it I start thinking of all the great outdoor memories I have, because of him!

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
This is my first Fall hunting season without my Dad. He didn't hunt the last few years but I couldn't wait to see him and tell him a new story of my hunts.

Your Dads would all be proud of you all by honoring their memories with your words and thoughts. The greatest respect we can show is to try and live our lives as best we can and remember our old "hunting buddies" every chance we get!

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Guys it is a little different for me.My Dad died when I was only 6wks. old.It was an Uncle who was the Father figure in my life.I miss him the most this time of year.Although we spent every chace at camp together,my greatest memories are of us hunting Ringnecks.There is know doubt that this was his favorite type of hunting.We sure shared some good times as tough as pheasant is,but just being with him doing what he loved best is what realy mattered.This will be the 4th Pheasant season without him.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I lost my father to massive heart attack on the last day of muzzleloader season in 1989, I was 16, what a punch in the gut. A few friends have asked how I can still hunt and not be bothered by it. I explain that hunting was one of our favorite times together, what better way to keep those old memories alive.

·
Registered
373 Posts
13 years and not getting any easier! Make sure to pass it on and create those same kind of memories for the next generation!

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Thank you fellas,

From the bottom of my heart. I sat and read every one of your entries, and tears welled until they rolled at the realization of how good I have it. You see, My dad is still with me, but I know our days afield are dwindling. He's healthy and fine but I've been chasing the thought away, that one day I'll be looking back on these days as you all are. I'm not one to waste time worrying about living, instead I'm trying to fill them with good things. But your words hit home, and resonated in my soul with the realization of how much I will miss my father as well. So I thank you for the sharper awareness for the living!

You all are blessed to have had a father/mentor who cared enough about you to lead you to nature!

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Jdbllung said:
I lost my father to massive heart attack on the last day of muzzleloader season in 1989, I was 16, what a punch in the gut. A few friends have asked how I can still hunt and not be bothered by it. I explain that hunting was one of our favorite times together, what better way to keep those old memories alive.
i would say the same thing man...when its my dads time to go that is what ill tell everyone...he would want me out there doing what i loved to do with him

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
My dad passed in 1990 when i was 21 years old.He was 49 years old and died of a heart attack in his sleep.We never saw eye to eye on much except hunting and fishing.The first day of bear season 1984 was the only time he ever told me he was proud of me.He shot his only bear and about 20 minutes later i shot my first bear.It was only the second animal i ever harvested.In 2006 about 350 yards from the stand where I shot the one in 1984 I shot my second bear carrying the rifle he shot his with which I inherited.There is not enough money to ever buy that rifle from me.My mom got it for him for Christmas in 1960.It is a western german Weatherby Mark 5 in 270 Weatherby magnum.He hand cut ebony and ivory diamonds in the stock.It is one of the most beautiful guns I have ever seen.I don't hunt with it too often but when I do I kinda feel like I'm taking a little piece of him in the woods with me.There's not many things I regret in this life ,but not having a better relationship with my dad is one of them.What I'm saying is if your father is still with us on this Earth PLEASE enjoy every moment you can with him because you never know.

·
6,450 Posts
dont worry he is on every hunt with you i went through a couple of seasons without mine now and its funny a deer always comes when i least expect it maybe he is pushing it to me

·
Registered
5,555 Posts
Sorry for him not being here anymore, I miss my dad and he isn't even gone, so I can't imagine what it would be like without him around.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts