The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
In almost all cases, yes you do. Contact the F&B commission and ask.

·
Registered
644 Posts
The only exception:
21. Do I need a license to fish on my own land?
The law provides that no person 16 years of age or older shall fish in any of the waters of Pennsylvania or in any boundary waters without first procuring a license. However, there is an exemption in the law. The exemption allows landowners who reside on their land throughout the year and members of their families residing thereon to fish on their land in waters wholly within said land without a license. This exemption does not apply to any person temporarily residing upon the land or any tenant who is not a member of the family of the owner. The exemption also does not apply to any servant or employee of the owner.

A pond or lake that is wholly within land owned by a homeowners association or a private club does not exempt the individual homeowners or club members from having a fishing license.

·
Registered
644 Posts
That's right from the PFBC Website. What you're talking about is a different situation - pay to fish - that operates under a different set of laws/regulations. At them you don't need a license.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Yep, they operate under a permit.

·
Registered
20,215 Posts
Where I live we have a lake that is maintained by our association fees, stocked with trout and bass from a hatchery, which also is paid for by dues. We have to have a Pa fishing license and adhere to seasons, size is not an issue since they do not stock undersized fish.
We also are subject to water quality testing, and engineer studies on our dams, all at the community expenses.

·
Registered
35 Posts
As mentioned by some of the previous replys, the general rule of thumb is YES, YOU DO NEED I LICENSE, otherwise in a pay to fish etc, it would be WELL advertised that you do not need one, in general think of it just like a hunting license on private ground...better have one...I'm sure there are other exceptions, but if you have to ask you probably answered your own question.

·
Registered
736 Posts
I just read the rules regarding fishing private ponds,I always thought you didnt need alicense to fish private ponds,guess I thought wrong.Inwhich I dont agree with If I buy the fish to stock the farm pond why does the PFBC have any control over it?They have nothing to do with the fish that were purchased .It is not like deer hunting on private propert were the deer travel in and off the property.But it is the law and no matter how tupid it is like other ones that are out there they have to be followed.

·
Registered
579 Posts
deertick said:
As mentioned by some of the previous replys, the general rule of thumb is YES, YOU DO NEED I LICENSE, otherwise in a pay to fish etc, it would be WELL advertised that you do not need one, in general think of it just like a hunting license on private ground...better have one...I'm sure there are other exceptions, but if you have to ask you probably answered your own question.
BULL IN pay to fish hatcheries YOU DO NOT NEED A LICENSE

·
Registered
35 Posts
Chopper, regarding "BULL"...I believe if you would carefully re-read what you highlighted, I think you will find THAT IS WHAT I SAID! (PAY TO FISH=NO LICENSE)

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
if a stream runs from an outside proprty into your lake then empties into a stream and out of your property you need one. if the lake is on yor property and does not have a water source from an outside proprty feeding it you dont need one

·
Registered
7,408 Posts
That's only true if you are the landowner who lives there or the landowners family who lives there. For example, uncle Ed comes to visit. he IS family, but DOES NOT live there; he would need a license. Even if you live there (rent for example) but are not family, you still need a license.
Even if you are the landowner him/herself, you need a license if you don't live there yearround.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts