The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I been logging a lot of miles on the treadmill since October, but outside for only the second time (cold air and asthma done mix well). The first time I kept my run to 2 miles. Today I decided to see if I could do 3 straight. I have been doing 3 miles a day on the treadmill, 5 minute walk (.25 miles) 30 minute run (2.5 miles) and 5 minute cool down walk (.25 miles). Today I ran the whole 3 miles in 29 minutes. I'm feeling pretty good about myself right now.

Thanks for listening.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
You should be! Congrats! I hate running on threadmills and with the weather getting nicer I'll be running the trails around my house. Also great for scouting for turkey sign.

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
Good for you! I want to run, but my joints can't take the pounding. In time I'll get there.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I really don't mind the treadmill. I get do my running first thing in the morning during the week while I catch the morning news. I've found that is the only way I keep at it. If I try and wait till after work, I have too many distractions and that turns to excuses. I will continue to pound the treadmill all summer, but hope to mix in a lot of outside runs.

Jason, I have bad knees from too many years of abuse and I really took it easy working my way up to where I'm at. I feel your pain...literally.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Thats great!Running your first 3 miles in under ten minutes/mile is good!My problem was that I thought I had to do a lower time each time out.That worked for me for a week or two but then I just settled in to whatever pace felt good for that day.Have fun and enjoy!

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Bucket, How's your mileage? Just found this forum. I've been running and lifting for over 30 years. I average 30 miles, 5 days a week. I lift 1 1/2 hrs. Mon., Wed. & Fri. It makes hiking in with a tree stand, kayaking/fishing easier when you stay in shape. I also have asthma. Did some ER/hospital stints till I learned how to control it. I use Advair dailey, and 2 shots of abuterol aprox. 20 min. before a run. I run outside all year round. If I can help you with any tips, just PM me your question.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Treemouse, I'm working on my mileage...I run a full 3 miles each weekday morning (with a quarter mile warm up and cool down for 3.5 total) and am trying to add a long run each week. Last week I got just over 20 miles. I haven't taken anything for my asthma since high school and as long as the weather is above about 40, I don't have much trouble with it. Hopefully I can build up my lungs before next winter.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
The asthma CNP told me about the abuterol at least 20 min. before exercising. In real cold, dry (low dewpoint) air you can run with an air warming mask. You can find them online. I've also used those ski headbands over my mouth. It's annoying but they work. Heavy type dust masks work too. 3M used to make actual air warming masks, I had a box.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
I've been running five miles a day for about a year. Haven't lost any weight and I have no idea where I am.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
wytetail said:
I've been running five miles a day for about a year. Haven't lost any weight and I have no idea where I am.
You need to learn to turn around after 2 1/2 miles.

·
Registered
12,199 Posts
Are you telling us you are disappointed because you have not lost weight or are happy that you have not lost any even though you are running, what is to my mind, an incredible amount? Five miles a day is a durned fur distance, and to be doing it daily is noteworthy to say the very least. We did not even do that when I was in the Marines.

·
Registered
10,309 Posts
jimsdad said:
Five miles a day is a durned fur distance, and to be doing it daily is noteworthy to say the very least. We did not even do that when I was in the Marines.
Cuz the world was still flat back then.

·
Registered
12,725 Posts
Swift said:
jimsdad said:
Five miles a day is a durned fur distance, and to be doing it daily is noteworthy to say the very least. We did not even do that when I was in the Marines.
Cuz the world was still flat back then.

·
Registered
12,199 Posts
Okay wise guy, I admit that my original issued 782 Gear contained a stick with a fire hardened point, a brontosaurus hide shield, and sandals of woven straw. But we knew the earth was not flat. That old belief was put to rest when SSgt. Og invented fire the year before I enlisted.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Honestly when I read the title I expected to open up the thread and see.........."Her darn husband came home early"

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Talonracer said:
Honestly when I read the title I expected to open up the thread and see.........."Her darn husband came home early"
Ha...nope, but that would make you run.

Looking back on this really makes me realize how far I've come. By the end of July I was averaging between 25-30 miles a week and ran a 5k at just over 25 min. Running 3 miles was a cake walk.

Then some things came up and I ended up taking about 6 weeks off from running. I was really surprised at how quick I lost my endurance. After about a month of easing back into it, I'm almost back to where I was. It's funny, I never thought I would enjoy running. Maybe it's just the satisfaction of doing something that I never thought I would be able to do.

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
I hear you on the endurance thing. When I don't ride my bike for anything more than two weeks it's almost like I never started at all. At least it comes back pretty quick compared to the spring when I haven't been on the bike all winter.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts