The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Moderator
24,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of months ago I started shooting my recurve, thinking about going traditional this year, but as luck would have it my shoulder and elbow started acting up again, I was sore for two weeks, and still am as I type. Sooooooo, I just ordered a new Horton "The Brotherhood" crossbow. Don't get me wrong, i'm not taking it out until I shoot it for a couple of weeks to get used to it. Here is a picture of it.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Good luck with it & Happy Shooting!!!

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
I like them...just with they didn't weigh 400 pounds. Those suckers are sure dense for their size! Something like 8.4 pounds?...

·
Registered
12,252 Posts
Glad to see that you will still be able to enjoy the season. Good Luck.

·
Super Moderator
24,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mightyjoeyoung said:
I like them...just with they didn't weigh 400 pounds. Those suckers are sure dense for their size! Something like 8.4 pounds?...
8.6 to be exact

Oh well, can't be any worse than carrying my 223 heavy barrel

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
It should be queiter than the TRT ultra lite at least...hear those things are loud. Looks like a reasonable replacement for the older TRT bow...which Horton should have definetly kept in their line up. GREAT little bow for the money right there!

·
Registered
18,627 Posts
Welcome to the world of crossbows, Moss. Good luck to you.

·
Super Moderator
4,565 Posts
Don't be suprised by the grin you get on your face.You will like it and it gets you out hunting.At the best time of the year IMO.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Welcome to the fraternity, Moss! I'm sure we'll be seeing that bow in a success pic with you by mid-November. Good luck!

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
MOSS, WELCOME you are among good company (regardless what saome say..LOL)

I did the recurve for two years after being fed up with target panic and having to spend $100 or so annually to keep my compound up with new technology....although I have/had no phyiscal problems, I had a an internal one in that I was not willing to shot at a deer with the recurve unless it was 20 yards or less. Eventhough i could hit a water bottle randomly tossed around a field in practice, I worried in my head alot about having a hit being a good one to the point I was almost glad i never did get a shot...I hope someday to climb that peak, but with all these youngsters now is not my time.

Anyway, Once I told my boy they might pass these he flipped out, and I got one based off that enthusiam...and after seeing there performance and effect on a deer's life expectancy we got two more....

There is a definate lore to the traditional bow that I hope when I am a funny hat , green plaid woolrich wearing Pap with time to kill, making cedars in my shop and then shooting them out back, tweaking them, cresting them repeat etc.. i go back to it. I will enjoy it then.

But with the boys in the house , theuir energy and enthusiam for these...I just am not ready to take the "rock and roll" out of our hunting yet as i call it. I am feeding off their energy to hunt the season, not shaking my head at it. I like dead deer on the pole, they still make me happy.

Your brotherhood here will get you comfortable with it quick, INCREDIBLE group here getting bigger daily too.

·
Super Moderator
24,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Rooster, I could care less what other people think

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I posted to you on the Traditional Archery forum as well but some guys over there seem to get a little touchy when the "c" word comes up regardless of a person's circumstances or preferences. Glad to see you moved to the crossbow rather than give up the season. I started hunting with a recurve in '64 and have been an avid archer ever since. Shot several deer with the recurve. Back in those days traditional really was traditional. We hunted from the ground with little or not camo (think I shot my first deer wearing Woolrich red and black flannel.
Anyway I've made the transition from recurve to compound, back to recurve, back to compound, and then to crossbow two years ago. Back and vision problems were two factors in the transition. I still bowfish for carp with a recurve. I've long-sense put away my equipment biases realizing that there are too many variables in modern hunting and too little time to enjoy the sport. Each archer sets his boundaries for success and in my mind, a twenty-yard shot is a twenty yard shot and it doesn't make any difference what kind of string the arrow is coming off of. In fact I chuckle at a couple of my proud "traditional" friends who look down on other archers while always hunting with scent-lok camouflage, from the best climbers or Double Bull blinds on the market. They go into the woods (on private land) with a rangefinder, replaceable blade broadheads, a variety of calls around their necks and always have a variety of scrape making and other scents with them...just like the Indians used to do I guess.

·
Registered
12,252 Posts
basdjs said:
I posted to you on the Traditional Archery forum as well but some guys over there seem to get a little touchy when the "c" word comes up regardless of a person's circumstances or preferences. Glad to see you moved to the crossbow rather than give up the season. I started hunting with a recurve in '64 and have been an avid archer ever since. Shot several deer with the recurve. Back in those days traditional really was traditional. We hunted from the ground with little or not camo (think I shot my first deer wearing Woolrich red and black flannel.
Anyway I've made the transition from recurve to compound, back to recurve, back to compound, and then to crossbow two years ago. Back and vision problems were two factors in the transition. I still bowfish for carp with a recurve. I've long-sense put away my equipment biases realizing that there are too many variables in modern hunting and too little time to enjoy the sport. Each archer sets his boundaries for success and in my mind, a twenty-yard shot is a twenty yard shot and it doesn't make any difference what kind of string the arrow is coming off of. In fact I chuckle at a couple of my proud "traditional" friends who look down on other archers while always hunting with scent-lok camouflage, from the best climbers or Double Bull blinds on the market. They go into the woods (on private land) with a rangefinder, replaceable blade broadheads, a variety of calls around their necks and always have a variety of scrape making and other scents with them...just like the Indians used to do I guess.
Hey on the rage commercials they show the caveman killing the dinosaur with the rage broadheads. Slip cam technology isn't a new thing.

I agree with you on the weapons thing. I don't feel any different when I kill a deer whether it is with a vertical bow, gun, pistol, crossbow, or muzzleloader. I would also add I don't feel any different about anyone else based on the weapon they use. Hunt with whatever you like and enjoy it.

Good post basdjs.

·
Super Moderator
24,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
basdjs said:

I started bow hunting back in 1971 with a recurve, the one I have now, I killed 5 deer with it. Then in 1993 I switched to a compound and used one ever since until I started getting the shoulder and elbow pain. Like you, back then I used regular army surplus camo, hunted on the ground, and never used any cover scent at all, I just played the wind. Now i'm going to the crossbow but still hunt on the ground, and maybe a ladder stand at times. But I will use scents and a deer call.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts