The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been shooting my Excalibur most of the summer and since it was a nice cool morning I figured I'd fire a few shots. After maybe the 10th shot I decided to take one more. I don't know what I was thinking but a soon as I fired I knew I forgot to put the arrow in. Dry Fire. Never have I done that before. After an inspection of the limbs with a cotton ball and screw check (my head and the bow) I fired another 4 shots, Still dead on with no damage thank goodness. That's why I like Excalibur crossbows.

I'm now a member of the Dry Fire Club.

·
Registered
12,363 Posts
Been shooting my Excalibur most of the summer and since it was a nice cool morning I figured I'd fire a few shots. After maybe the 10th shot I decided to take one more. I don't know what I was thinking but a soon as I fired I knew I forgot to put the arrow in. Dry Fire. Never have I done that before. After an inspection of the limbs with a cotton ball and screw check (my head and the bow) I fired another 4 shots, Still dead on with no damage thank goodness. That's why I like Excalibur crossbows.

It can happen. Did the string come off the bow? It usually does when you dryfire. Nice thing about an Excal like you said is you can simply string it back up.

·
Registered
4,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It can happen. Did the string come off the bow? It usually does when you dryfire. Nice thing about an Excal like you said is you can simply string it back up.
String stayed on. Shot actually sounded normal I was lucky.

·
Registered
19,662 Posts
Yikes. Glad it didn't appear to do any harm.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I am new to crossbows, but I thought all had anti-dryfire built in

The earlier models did not. I Have an Excalibur Vortex and it does not. I made the same mistake twice, luckily no damage.

When you are shooting a crossbow, you need to keep your head in the game, 110% There are quite a few "Mistakes" that can be quite painful or costly.

The other mistake I made and I have seen others make is not to get your foot FIRMLY in the stirrup, That hurts !

And watch that thumb on the fore-end ( I did not make that one ).

·
Registered
4,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The earlier models did not. I Have an Excalibur Vortex and it does not. I made the same mistake twice, luckily no damage.

When you are shooting a crossbow, you need to keep your head in the game, 110% There are quite a few "Mistakes" that can be quite painful or costly.

The other mistake I made and I have seen others make is not to get your foot FIRMLY in the stirrup, That hurts !

I've got 2 out of 3 so far. I have a Vortex and love it. That's my first dry fire but I lost a thumb nail once. The nail hit the target before I even felt the pain. That really hurt.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
I haven't done that yet? But last year I made the same mistake TWICE! I carry a small discharge bag for the end of the day to use with a blunted bolt. Twice I forgot to switch bolts and shot my broadhead right thru the bag!

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I haven't done that yet? But last year I made the same mistake TWICE! I carry a small discharge bag for the end of the day to use with a blunted bolt. Twice I forgot to switch bolts and shot my broadhead right thru the bag!

I bought the Excalibur so I could easily uncock it. I don't know if your bow can do this, but I do it all the time.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts

I bought the Excalibur so I could easily uncock it. I don't know if your bow can do this, but I do it all the time.

Just remember to REMOVE the arrow FIRST !!!

·
Registered
443 Posts

When firing any weapon you need to keep your head in the game 110%

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
I've snapped 2 strings in the last 3 years but it was because of the bolts. The first one, i put the odd vain down like always. i shot and it goes maybe 5 feet the the string is hanging. The nock wasn't put on correctly to match the vain. Last year I got a deal on a bunch of bolts at an auction. I was shooting my new bow and the string snapped on the 5th shot. There was a flat nock in with all of the half moon nocks. All of the bolt were the same color and same size. I now look at all of my nocks when loading.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts

Huntin the Backwoods TV boys run those bows through some crazy tests all of them come out unscathed

·
Registered
4 Posts
I cracked a limb last year on my Excalibur. Not sure exactly what happened but I do know, at least twice, the bolt wasn't butted up to the string. Missed a nice deer. He gave me 2 shots. Same thing both times. There was debris jammed in there. As good as a dry fire. Excalibur customer service was great. Shipped me 2 new limbs within a week. Will never do that again. I always double check to make sure the bolt is seated properly.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts