The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My apologies if I'm repeating a question asked several times. Although I'm sure it's been discussed, I couldn't find anything in past threads.

Rothrock State Forest... musta been 10-12 years ago. On my way back to the vehicle I came across a salt lick. I was unknowingly hunting the exact trail that lead to the lick over the ridge. It wasn't there two weeks before and I hadn't seen it on the way in.. in the dark.

Another time.. scouted a well-known saddle two weeks before the opener.. Found some good buck sign. First morning, archery 2005, I pulled up to the spot in the vehicle.. a guy pulls in a few minutes later. He asked if I was going to the saddle. I replied yes. After getting out of the tree I noticed a pile of apples about 50 yards from the tree I was in. The apples were likely places in the saddle by the guy I had talked to considering the distance from the parking area.

These two scenerio's played out in my favor. The WCO was contacted about both. Don't know if anything ever happened in terms of fines. The salt lick was removed. Since then, we've gotten a new WCO. I've already explained these situations to her.. and asked about "what if" -- she sorta just laughed.

The salt lick situation I'd woulda been lookin' guilty.. no doubt it. Only thing working in my favor for the apple situation was that I was 50 yards from the pile and there were plenty of trees to get up in 10 yards from them. The way the deer move there, I was not in the intercept line.. that of course wouldn't validate my intentions to a stranger of a WCO.

So.. the question is would I get a fine for this or not? Just so happens I knew the previous WCO quite well and have spoken of baiting/poaching discovery's with the current. Hunting highly pressured public land certainly has its challenges beyond just patterning the deer. Gotta pattern those other "hunters" too. But I'm not the guy to visit a spot I intend hunting the day before.

Curious to hear if this has happened to anyone or anyone you know, and was the outcome was.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
I'd have to say that would be up to the WCO's dicression. The problem is that every Tom, Dick and Harry who baits always says "Honest officer, I didn't know they were there". If the WCO knows you and you contact them about such instances they may tend to believe you. Personally, from what I've heard of others is that you'd probably be fined because more times than not the guy hunting 50 yards from the bait is more than likely the one who put it there so guys like you who don't know about it end up getting the shaft.

·
Registered
730 Posts
These "scenarios" often than not and pretty much never can be answered in these types of forums/settings.....there are too many 'what if's" and all the variables around such events that no LEO will give a yes or no answer.....except for that it is up to the officers discretion at the moment they come in cntact with you in the field. The officer you asked this about probably laughed for a reason.... they cant give a definate answer because too many variables.....

·
Registered
25,914 Posts
The Headmaster will explain most of this stuff in another few months. He's probably got several folders filled with assorted "Ifs, Ands & Maybes", collected over the years.

·
Registered
5,098 Posts
can and will get in troble. even i you did not put it out and did not know about it.Cost some one I know a deer $ and two years of hunting!

·
Registered
893 Posts
I guess you might say I hunted in a baited "area" one season.
The fella on the other side of a hill from me baited a large area and he was about 250yds away from me walking distance up over the hill.
Anyways , I placed a call to the bunny cops at about 10 am on opening day after a a little walk of mine and found him dragging out a buck and then found his bait.
I left 2 phones numbers to contact me and gave very easy directions so the local wco could find it who happened to be familiar with the grounds.
But no one ever showed up or contacted me and that fella killed several deer that season which I assume some had to go untagged because this guy could only have had how many tags? 2? 3 at most with a bonus tag?
I figured the area I was hunting might get shut down as a result of my phone call but I was only kidding myself.
Until that season I never really thought baiting would work in an area where the deer where being hunted , but now I think different. The fella was informed to "relocate" after that season and has not been back since.

·
Registered
16,510 Posts
Sounds more like you've hunted in the "vicinity" of bait, and not "over" bait. Could make a remarkable difference in whether you'd be found guilty or not.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts