The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally finished my contender 223 varmit today. Not that it was a difficult project it was just finding time to do it since I'm renovating our home. It's a 1st gen frame (easy open) 21" 223 varmit barrel, leupold 1pc base and rings, boyds thumbhole stock. The glass is by osprey. It's just a 3-9 by 40 with lighted redical. To be honest I'm not crazy about it. I just put it on there because I had it laying around. It came off of another rifle I purchased from someone. When I can afford some quality glass I will upgrade. When I received the stock it needed a good amount of sanding. So with 3 coats of tung oil and a good bit of sanding down with 200 and 220 grit I'm hapy with the finish product. I am planing on trying hornady 55gr Vmax first. Heard a lot of good things about that round we'll see. When I thought I just about had it finished I went to work the hammer back and the spur just hit the stock. Augh, so I just sanded lightly a 32nd of an inch notch and that was just enough to let it lock. Just hope she shoots as good as she looks.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Nice job! I think you are going to love it. I shoot 55 gr. VMax's out my Encore with the .223 barrel and it performs well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts