The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just found out I cannot get off on the 28th for the firearm opener.. So mad.. Wont be able to get in the stand till Saturday the 3rd now. Not even sure its worth it.

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
Sorry to hear that, feel your frustration. I've had to work on the opener before. It sucks but the way I look at it, the paycheck must come first. I am only off for the opener, then weekends. Just hunt when you can. It may be a blessing in disguise.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I will work the first day also, but I just got back from Idaho with a elk and a mule deer so its ok, We have been having more luck after Xmas with smoke poles past couple of yrs, 3 8 pts in 3 yrs with flintlocks not as many people out.

·
Registered
9,848 Posts
That really stinks. That happened to me once too and I never got over it. I don't work at that place anymore. You can get a paycheck from more reasonable places to work.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
I shot the biggest buck of my life on the first Friday, and have shot many many deer on the two Saturdays. The last Saturday is almost like hunting in the flintlock season, with the lack of hunters out. Especially if it's cold or snowy.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Shot my biggest buck on the second Thursday.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am being optimistic. Hopefully I will still get to see some good bucks on the 3rd... Like Bluebird said, might be a blessing in disguise..

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I have killed my last 3 bucks during the last few days of the season, 2 of them coming on the final day. Don't get too upset about it, just get out there when you can. I've missed entire seasons because Uncle Sam had other plans for me.

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
That really stinks. That happened to me once too and I never got over it. I don't work at that place anymore. You can get a paycheck from more reasonable places to work.
I don't think it very prudent to bail on a job simply because of deer season. I doubt most people would or could leave their well paying, or at least stable employment just in the name of deer season. Not a very intelligent thing to do.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I've only missed one opening day of deer season.

Although it's nice to be in the woods the first day if I didn't live 8 hours away I would probably go back to work after bear season, then come back down for the end of one of the weeks of deer season doe is open, bear is open in some areas, less people, the camp starts doing drives after monday so i miss the drives by having to get back to work

·
Registered
9,848 Posts
I don't think it very prudent to bail on a job simply because of deer season. I doubt most people would or could leave their well paying, or at least stable employment just in the name of deer season. Not a very intelligent thing to do.

Good jobs are a dime a dozen for those who are really willing to look and apply themselves. In this case it WAS a wise decision. I am now 5 minutes from home, make 1 1/2 times the money that I was and I have the first two days if deer season off every year.

To each their own. You do what you want. I'll do what I want.

·
Super Moderator
13,799 Posts
I had a career where I had to work every opening day and every Saturday of every hunting season. I still enjoyed hunting every day I had off even though it was only one day a week and weekday at that. It actually made me a better hunter because I had to learn how to hunt without counting on someone chasing something my way. I even got to where I was pretty darn successful at find game.

The point is that everyone needs to learn how to enjoy any and every hunting opportunity, regardless of the day or amount of time they can put in on the hunt.

It is always worth it if you truly enjoy hunting.

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
For me, priorities are simple enough. My family and my job. My work is a very specialized field and trust me, jobs doing what I do are not a dime a dozen. Simply put, work and family comes before hunting. I will still get out there and if the star line up right, I will get my buck.

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
Good jobs are a dime a dozen for those who are really willing to look and apply themselves. In this case it WAS a wise decision. I am now 5 minutes from home, make 1 1/2 times the money that I was and I have the first two days if deer season off every year.

To each their own. You do what you want. I'll do what I want.

I truly find your statement hard to believe, and severely naive. If you think finding a good job is easy, and "a dime a dozen" as you say, then what I'm hearing is that you either are well off and don't need to work, or are young and haven't experienced a layoff, or extended periods of unemployment with nobody knocking at your door.

As you say though, to each his own. If you put deer hunting above a stable or well paying job, then by all means quit whenever they don't give you the day off to hunt. See how that bodes with the next employer. Your priorities are yours alone, no matter how ridiculous they sound.

·
Super Moderator
4,596 Posts
It's always worth it.Trust me I have been where you are many times before.Being at work is better than a few others reasons that cause not being able to hunt at all.

·
Registered
9,848 Posts
I truly find your statement hard to believe, and severely naive. If you think finding a good job is easy, and "a dime a dozen" as you say, then what I'm hearing is that you either are well off and don't need to work, or are young and haven't experienced a layoff, or extended periods of unemployment with nobody knocking at your door.

As you say though, to each his own. If you put deer hunting above a stable or well paying job, then by all means quit whenever they don't give you the day off to hunt. See how that bodes with the next employer. Your priorities are yours alone, no matter how ridiculous they sound.

You sure do know a lot about people just from reading a couple posts.

Believe me, I am not independently wealthy. But no, I never have experienced a layoff or been out of work since I was 16. Never collected welfare or unemployment. If that did happen, I'd go get a job and get my butt to work so I didn't have anyone knocking at my door. If you don't subscribe to that or have difficulty finding jobs, then I feel bad for you and wish you better luck in the future.

"Putting deer hunting above a well paying job." It is you who said that. All my bills are paid and my family is taken care of. I clearly said that I left for a better paying job. Not too hard to comprehend.
Life is way too short to let others dictate how you will live. Attitudes like yours are why all these big companies think they can get away with all the things they do to people. As I said before. to each their own. Do what you want, but stop making assumptions about me just because you read a post and think you know everything.

And just to illustrate your lack of reading comprehension, go back and actually read my first post here. It said I had to work on opening day and never got over it. I no longer work there. It doesn't say that I quit because I had to work on opening day. Yeah, I quit, but there was a myriad of other reasons as well. You simply assumed the rest and went on with your lecture.

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Knock on wood......luckily, I've got into a position where I can take my vacation/holidays during bear and deer seasons. I have to work tonight and the next two nights, then I'm off until December 11! ;)

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
I have missed the last 29 openers except for one ................... and I had to have major back surgery to get THAT one off. I don't recommend it.

I missed BOTH of my older kids getting their first bucks. My dad and brother had to oversee them getting out and hunting.

But, HOLY COW.................. don't ever suggest that the PGC move the opener to a Saturday !!! The earth will come out of orbit, the seas will boil, someone somewhere will have to go to camp a day earlier, and everyone in PA will come down with dandruff !!! No matter that folks with jobs could hunt..................

·
Registered
5,790 Posts
I had a career where I had to work every opening day and every Saturday of every hunting season. I still enjoyed hunting every day I had off even though it was only one day a week and weekday at that. It actually made me a better hunter because I had to learn how to hunt without counting on someone chasing something my way. I even got to where I was pretty darn successful at find game.

The point is that everyone needs to learn how to enjoy any and every hunting opportunity, regardless of the day or amount of time they can put in on the hunt.

It is always worth it if you truly enjoy hunting.

Dick Bodenhorn

You mean you didn't carry your rifle and road hunt while you was working? :D

·
Registered
5,790 Posts
Since 1979 I haven't missed an opening day. Since 95 I have been holding my breath that it might snow the night before. I'm a snow plow contractor with 26 commercial accounts and would have to be plowing if it snowed. I have been lucky on that aspect but opening day has not been good to me for last few years.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts