The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy calls me and says he got a gobbler at my camp. He said at fly down he’s working 3 birds for a hour and can see them fanned up at 60yds. At that point a guy stalks the gobbling and takes a Hail Mary and misses, my buddy ducks and hears flapping overhead, looks up and the birds the guy missed are literally 20 feet above him in a tree... He shoots and kills a nice bird outta the tree. He calls me and tells me the whole story.. I was like man brother I don’t know if that’s legal or not. He said I worked these birds all morning to have a guy shoot 50 yds from me!!!

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
That is a tough one. I don't see anything in the regulations saying you can't so i suppose you could. I had some snide comments made towards me last year because i shot one that came out from under a fallen down tree while i was looking for mushrooms. The comments were because i didn't call it in but i wasn't stalking either. Since your buddy wasn't stalking and it flew in the tree and he harvested it then i would say legal. Maybe unethical to some but WW and RSB would be the ones to clarify that one.

·
Banned
2,004 Posts
Was told long time ago about this very thing and said to be very unethical it went from that to shooting ducks on the water that have already landed on the water. :turkey_track:

·
Super Moderator
13,514 Posts
Twice I have had hunters sneak in on roosted gobblers that I was set up on close by and shoot at them in the tree. Neither time did they get the gobbler and one was a very questionable range and the other was a ridiculous range.

Another time I had a hunter shoot at a gobbler as the bird was walking into my decoys....he shot from long range.

Ruined the morning for me all three times.

Twice in OH I walked 2 miles back in the woods to accidentally stop to wait for daylight only to discover I was directly under the tree of roasted gobblers. I did not even attempt to shoot them out of the tree just not my thing.

Apparently not illegal, but in my opinion not very sporting or rewarding.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
...Another time I had a hunter shoot at a gobbler as the bird was walking into my decoys....he shot from long range.
That is downright frightening. I’d imagine the guy probably had no clue that where you were and simply fired arbitrarily in your direction. People’s desperation is just crazy.

·
Registered
12,364 Posts
My buddy calls me and says he got a gobbler at my camp. He said at fly down he’s working 3 birds for a hour and can see them fanned up at 60yds. At that point a guy stalks the gobbling and takes a Hail Mary and misses, my buddy ducks and hears flapping overhead, looks up and the birds the guy missed are literally 20 feet above him in a tree... He shoots and kills a nice bird outta the tree. He calls me and tells me the whole story.. I was like man brother I don’t know if that’s legal or not. He said I worked these birds all morning to have a guy shoot 50 yds from me!!!

I assume that the birds were on the ground when the guy stalked them since he was calling for an hour? The only illegal thing that I see from your story is the guy who stalked them as stalking turkeys in the Spring is illegal.

Shooting out of the tree is not illegal. I wouldn't do it at daybreak though as not my cup of tea. However in your buddies situation there is a good chance I would have done the same as him.

·
Registered
22,657 Posts
What's not ethical about it?

nothing really. its just the way some guys like and dont like to hunt. its sorta like ground swatting the stocked pheasants..some do, some dont...i do :grin2:

the only illegal act was done by the guy who stalked the birds and took a shot at them.

·
Premium Member
24,169 Posts
One year I was hunting a certain gobbler. I heard him on the roost out the mountain from me. I started doing just three clicks every 15 minutes. This went on for about and hour then all of a sudden this gobbler flew into a tree out from me. There were leaves on the trees so I couldn’t see him but I saw the limbs he was standing on shaking. If I could have seen him I would have shot him off the limb. He then flew to parts unknown

·
Super Moderator
13,514 Posts
One year I was hunting a certain gobbler. I heard him on the roost out the mountain from me. I started doing just three clicks every 15 minutes. This went on for about and hour then all of a sudden this gobbler flew into a tree out from me. There were leaves on the trees so I couldn’t see him but I saw the limbs he was standing on shaking. If I could have seen him I would have shot him off the limb. He then flew to parts unknown
One smart bird....Another one of their sneaky tricks is as they walk behind a tree from the shooter.....Hey time to move and adjust for the shot as they exit the other side of tree......Not for some sneaky wise old gobblers who pull their head back for a look from the same side of the tree they appear to be passing behind. Had this pulled on me twice. Luckily I was able to get the wise guys both times. The latest experience with that turkey trick was my first PA gobbler of this year.

However, there have been many times I had to or did make a substantial move while a gobbler was passing behind a tree that I surly have been busted, if they had pull this sneaky...."Unfair tactic" on me.

When I use decoys I always try to set the Jake decoy where the approaching gobbler will have to walk behind some sizable trees which allows me to adjust my sighting plain for the shot.

·
Premium Member
24,169 Posts
Back in my rookie days I was walking along yelping every so often. I had a gobbler answer down below me and it was close. I looked around quick for a tree to sit against and set up. I started calling it was coming closer. Here there were three jakes coming up the hill. I had the gun in my lap. They were walking in line out from me I couldn’t move. There was a big oak tree in front of me about 25 yards. The first one got behind it, the second one got behind it then the third one got behind it so I raised my shotgun only to have the first one come out and see me. It started running and I swung and followed it and shot knocking it down. It ended up with a 6 1/2” beard. Not bad for a jake.

Reactions: bohunr

·
Registered
22,657 Posts
not your style but it might be others.

they can be proud of that. its their right. its not nice of people to push their way of doing things on others. we have to be tolerant and acceptant of others. if its legal, it really shouldnt matter to anyone else.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts