The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
But never the wad! I hit a pheasant with a B&P high pheasant load today and got about a bushel of feathers. I wasn't right on top of it either, I tried to let it get out a little. Just barely managed to save the breasts.

Did have a neat scene today where my boy Kaiser went on point with his head way up in the air. Scanned the ground in front of him and saw a quail perched in a pine about 4 feet up.

CHAZ

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Quail and pheasant sounds like a nice way to spend the day. Where were you hunting?

I remember reading one time about the wad in a pheasant but I sure never experienced it.

·
Registered
5,161 Posts
Never found the wad in one, but I have shot the head completely off two different times, while they were flying.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Did the same on Friday. The dog pointed, I flushed the bird and snap shot it. When the dog brought it to me, it looked like the bird exploded. Big hole in back. When I cleaned it, the backbone was gone. Some of the BBs went through the breast and stopped at the skin. I will probably shred the breast and cook it in skillet.

I hate to hit a bird like that. I should learn to wait when the bird is going straight away.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was hunting planted birds at a hunt club. There was snow on the ground, and it was keeping the birds planted pretty tight.

The gun is choked Imp cyl, and Mod. I nailed it with the open choke. Good thing, a full choke probably would have been worse.

CHAZ

1 - 6 of 6 Posts