The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a 1 food plot guy. I,ve battled weeds severely for years, ladys thumb was the weed. like pennsylvania smart weed. Every year I would disc it up & plant & get some plot, but alot of weeds. Well this year i killed all at first green up, & twice more since then. The plot is pretty dead getting some moss & some missed weeds. & I want this to be my one plot. plot! I already have the prescribed amount of brassica seed, 1, but should I mix it with anything?
and 2 when should I plant?
the property is in mid susquehanna county
ph is 6.6
land has not been tilled this year just dragged the chain link fence...........

·
Registered
802 Posts
i like to mix with imperial clover. this way next spring your plot isn't bare. imperial even sells a clover - brassica mix. some more lime and fertilizer will help.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
I usually plant my brassicas by themselves and do the planting around the last weekend of July or the first one of August. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
CROW MASTER said:
I am a 1 food plot guy. I,ve battled weeds severely for years, ladys thumb was the weed. like pennsylvania smart weed. Every year I would disc it up & plant & get some plot, but alot of weeds. Well this year i killed all at first green up, & twice more since then. The plot is pretty dead getting some moss & some missed weeds. & I want this to be my one plot. plot! I already have the prescribed amount of brassica seed, 1, but should I mix it with anything?
and 2 when should I plant?
the property is in mid susquehanna county
ph is 6.6
land has not been tilled this year just dragged the chain link fence...........
Depends on when you like to hunt. If you are a bow hunter and plan to hunt the early bow season, then mix in something. Deer do not hit the brassicas hard until after the first hard frost. We mix in clover, oats, or Austrian winter peas. That way there is something in the plot for the whole fall season.

·
Registered
125 Posts
i would use a grain like oats or tricticale around the perimeter and the brassicas in the middle or Ultra forage from Tecomate it has brassica, clover and chicory for spring .... hope everything works awesome for ya
i planted last weekend to get some good growth and get the deer use to it.....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts