The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
20,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seriously!! Every year I get Blossom end rot! It's driving me crazy. haven't had too much rain or anything. Everything I read says to add calcium but I mix a million things in my soil and nothing else I plant ever has an issue. Somehow I doubt that Zuc's are that dang needy lol. I've never seen a dang plant so hard to grow. It's like a high maintenance women that you just can't make happy. Maddening!

·
Registered
13,493 Posts
Weird. I hate them because I always have way too many of them. LOL I won't even plant them anymore because it gets to the point that you can't give them away.

·
20,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I hear that!! For whatever reason though I just cannot get them to grow out. Every single year they get BER which everything else in the garden does spectacular. The worst part is that they are my wives favorite. The plant will be dead pretty soon I am sure as BER is the first sign. I'll give it another 3 weeks before it's all over. I suppose I will try and grow it in another spot next year. Do a little crop rotation of something.

·
Administrator
39,022 Posts
eyefromthesky said:
Weird. I hate them because I always have way too many of them. LOL I won't even plant them anymore because it gets to the point that you can't give them away.
Not me brother.I make whatever i can with them, and then some.I love em!However i do give a few away.

·
Super Moderator
6,024 Posts
Trout, you can still plant another batch I plant them all the way till August. Try a different spot. We eat them almost everyday. Grilled, stuffed, fried, zuke soup and zuke bread. I have 14 planted so far and will plant another 8 or so. I'll be picking my first batch next week. Good Luck and try another spot.

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
holy crap Long Beard, 14 plants in the ground with another 8 coming.........dang, we can't keep up with two plants at my place. By the time we get to the second/third pickings they are the size of bazookas

·
Super Moderator
6,024 Posts
LOL.....We eat it almost every day grilled. I freeze a bunch for zuke soup in the winter (awesome to take ice fishing). I give a bunch away to.

Last year the stink bugs got to my late crop, they seem to love zukes.

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
4c_game_chaser said:
holy crap Long Beard, 14 plants in the ground with another 8 coming.........dang, we can't keep up with two plants at my place. By the time we get to the second/third pickings they are the size of bazookas

4C, Long Beard has NOTHING over on my FIL....My FIL Plants 2-3 PACKS of seeds in the Garden...he grates up Alot of Zukes each year to make Zuke Bread all winter long...He Yells at me alot when I get in the Garden and steal a few small ones to deep fry or to slice open and cut the middles out of and stuff with cheese and ground chicken...

I always tell him when he starts yelling "You planted 2-3 Packs of Seeds, you got Zukes Coming out your Ears, Me stealing a few to make another way then Zuke Bread isn't going to Hurt your Harvest" But he still doesn't get it... he thinks he will not have enough to store for the winter to make Bread!
Over half our garden is Zukes!!! he normally plants them all at 1 time but this year said he is going to stagger them....I've told him 3 seeds would be plenty for what he needs but he doesn't get it and all he does with them is Grate them up so he can freeze to make Zuke Bread all winter long!

·
Registered
193 Posts
I'm wondering if you don't have bacterial wilt rather than blossom end rot. It's carried by a variety of cucumber and squash beetles and results in the death of the plant. Could be why the calcium doesn't do anything. Bacterial wilt can start the same way, by withering the blossoms, and it ends with the plant just withering away. Here's a link that can help you diagnose:

Bacterial Wilt

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I put a tablespoon of epsom salts and a tablespoon of powdered dry milk in with my summer squash and cucumbers and tomato. It stopped the blossom end rot in the tomato. Stir it up good and plant the zucchini on top. Most of the soils in Pennsylvania are low on magnesuim. (epsom salts) and they need the powdered dry milk for calcuim.

·
6,448 Posts
i havent planted any for 3 years and still get plant in my garden.

·
Administrator
28,242 Posts
great white hunter said:
eyefromthesky said:
Not me brother.I make whatever i can with them, and then some.I love em!However i do give a few away.
Way too many? Give 'em away? Too big?
I guess it's time to let you guys in on a little secret.

http://foodsoftheworld.activeboards.net/tok-fozelek_topic745.html

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Zac...this year is my first for this problem...the yellow squash and Zuccs mostly rot at end after fruit forms...I got a few Zuccs, not many.. I thought too much water this year....last year was banner year. Maybe BER?

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
DIYASUB said:
great white hunter said:
eyefromthesky said:
Way too many? Give 'em away? Too big?
I guess it's time to let you guys in on a little secret.

http://foodsoftheworld.activeboards.net/tok-fozelek_topic745.html

Hunkies Normally know how to do more with Food and make it Taste good then the Average folks do!

·
Registered
13,867 Posts
I had some Zucci pie last Friday night before I hit the lake. Wife made it along with stuffed Veal Breast.

·
Registered
13,867 Posts
She keeps the one she's got fat and happy...

She was'nt impressed with me coming home empty handed from the lake either.....

I'm gonna do some smoked eggplant and Zuccs this weekend! Mouth is watering thinking about it!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts