The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hunted for a couple hours with my dad this morning at an old overgrown stripping mine area. Lots of cottontail tracks. The hounds started four and we killed every one. Surprisingly none went for the hole but all cooperated and ran.
What I did find as well were fisher tracks everywhere. And when I say everywhere I mean everywhere. The entire area was overrun with them. I located two spots where it actually caught/killed a cottontail. This particular spot we hunted was down in the valley surrounded by some housing developments (still safe to hunt).
I've been seeing fisher tracks at almost every location I hunt but this was a first seeing them down in the valley. I really wish the PGC would open a season on them, and longer than a five day one like they had in the western part of the state this year.
Protect the fishers but close the hare season. Fishers need something to eat, right?

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
be careful what you wish for , it will happen soon enough ,but with the measly season we get for cats i'm sure it will be tightly regulated

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
IMO the PGC should NEVER have re-introduced those overgrown weasels!They are really hard on the squirrel and rabbit populations.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
WildTigerTrout said:
IMO the PGC should NEVER have re-introduced those overgrown weasels!They are really hard on the squirrel and rabbit populations.
Yea I have to agree with you there.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
A lady that attends our church says her neighbors dog was killed by a fisher and it was a husky mix, I say hog wash it had to be a pack of coyotes. But that's what the vet told her so of course they believe the vet. Fishers are popping up everywhere. I have seen a few in the last 3 years.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts