The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
NEVER in my life have I had anything worse than a speeding ticket EVER!! NO RECORD- NOTHING! I got a 44 mag on 9-2-2010- not a problem went right through.. Got a Ruger SR9 on 9-7-2010 Not a problem went right through! This past saturday I got my Concealed carry permit from the sheriff's office. Not a problem in fact it didn't take the 4 weeks they told me it would it only took around a week and a half... That same Saturday I went to Saxonburg Gun bash and won a para ordnance 45acp. This past Monday I drove the hour one way to pick it up... DELAYED! What the heck! The clerk at Sportsman supply (first time ever signing for a gun in a store other than bee's guns in 20 years)told me that they didn't give a reason just said they will be in touch within 15 days... Too much activity too fast? If so why would they let you put multiple guns on the same check? Lazy employee at PICS? Too busy at PICS to process my info? Computer timed out?
So how many of you got the shaft?

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Re: I got delayed.. PICS is a joke!

Never had an issue

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Is 4 really the magic number? Wonder if I would get denied for that......?

·
Registered
25,784 Posts

Guessing that many handgun purchases in that short of a time frame, may have caught someone's attention? They may be viewing it as a potential "straw purchase" episode and are looking into it.

I no longer have an avenue to inquire, since the person I know who worked in PICS, is now retired.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts

PICS ARE DOING THEIR JOBS.. THAT MANY GUNS WITHIN A 30 MO TIME FRAME SMELLS KINDS FISHY(UNLESS YOU HAVE A (FFP), THEY ARE GONNA FLAG YOU. GET USED TO IT. IT'S ONLY GONNA GET WORST.

·
Super Moderator
29,487 Posts

Flagged for what!? Is there a law that states how many firearms you may purchase in a month, or any other length of time? If not, then on what grounds was the purchase <s>denied</s> delayed?
If there is, I haven't heard of it.

·
Registered
432 Posts

PICS wont tell you why it was delayed. As far as i know when they call into PICS they just check your record, and im sure that when the clerk at the gunshop punches in the numbers on the phone im sure there is one that says some like this "background check for a firearm" but im not 100%. To me 4 in a month might throw some flags, but i dont know. The other thing is i do not beleive there is a "gun registery" for the commonwealth of PA. the reason i say that is because if a firearm is used in a crime and they start looking for it, and find something that comes close, they are going to start looking on the paper trail. first person who bought it will be questioned and so on. so maybe somehow that gun you purchased last may have been in question of the law.

i was in a gun shop where some lady came in and was going to buy a semiauto pistol. she came up DENIED, but PICS let her repeal it. after she left the owner of the shop and myself were shooting the bull and he said she was in the paper for fighting with a knife outside of a bar. PICS may have saved someone's life for that reason.

but i hope you get this resolved. buying 4 guns in a month, WOW my girlfriend would have my hide!!!!!! she wasnt to happy when i bought my M1 Garand, and now she dont know about the AR-15 im getting. shhhhhh our little secret. haha.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

I didn't buy 4 guns..... First one was a gift to me. 2nd one I bought. 3RD hit was for my CONCEALED CARRY PERMIT and the 4th hit would have been for the PARA that I won. I understand it is still 4 hits but that is an unusual series of things that may never happen the rest of my life. I am sure PICS doesn't know that but the clerk should be able to at least say that this is a prize being won not a purchase! There are just too many variables to worry about. Bottom line is I HAVE NO RECORD AT ALL. NOTHING. I just hope they do their job and do not throw a deny my way...

·
Registered
485 Posts

why were you delayed? it could be as simple as a typo by a data entry tech in sri lanka, a person with the same name with a pfa in birmingham, alabama, or even a simple glitch in system giving a strange answer. in the time period allowed you will get an approval. you will never know why the hold and there is no way in the law to find out. if denied you can appeal and then you find out the "problem." one denial i know of turned out to be about a "mooning" incident while in high school. on the other hand there has been an approval issued to a person that was on parole for a murder conviction in ny. NO SYSTEM IS PERFECT. go with the process and "chill out," it will be resolved. i work in a small shop and you would be amazed at the number of "reversal" letters i see. better to err on the safe side. it is a TERRIBLE feeling to get a trace from atf and find out a gun that you sold was used in a crime or suicide.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

I am cool, I understand no system is perfect. if I get denied I will lose the gun to the firehall and get a stupid gift card for 250.00 or at least that is what the ticket says. Maybe they would cut me a break on that if I showed them it is a mistake by showing them all my other paper work....."IF" it does indeed get denied.

·
Registered
3,246 Posts

Going along with the "process" is one of the reasons why many of our freedoms are already in jeopardy..

The process stinks. Nothing in the Constitution says a Gov't Official can make an arbitrary decision about a Citizen's rights. Especially without a complete explanation..

Here's two personal anecdotes:

First, crossing the border into Canada. Many of you know you have to declare firearms and fill out form. One of the guns I had with me was a Mossberg shotgun. After you fill out form, Agents disappear into backroom and hopefully come out with OK. On this occasion, an Agent comes out and wants to see the Mossberg Shotgun. ??? OK, I go out to the truck and get it. I am met at the door by the Agent who grabs the shotgun from my hands and shucks it violently to be sure it is empty and storms off into the backroom again.. ???

He is gone for several minutes. Finally he comes out and starts grilling me about where I got the gun. His database shows a Mossberg shotgun to be stolen.. No serial number, just a Mossberg shotgun..

At this point, I am convinced the guy is an idiot.

It took a different Agent to step in and send me on my way with my shotgun..

Second: Anybody keeping a watch on your credit report? A good idea, but can be extremely frustrating. Every time I have checked mine there are many errors. And the latest response was ridiculous. My credit rating was being impacted by too many inquiries!! And, they were not even all my inquiries, some of them were my Son with the same name..

"It takes a human to mess something up, but it takes a computer to really mess everything up"

Best regards, Glenn
PS, by the way, I suppose most of you know that us Peoples Republic of Maryland residents can only buy ONE gun a month!

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

One gun a month is totally lame. What are you supposed to do if you win 2 or 3 in a month! NOT UNHEARD OF! Yeah I have no choice but to go with the system. I did call one of my friends that is a state cop and he told me to hang in there I would be approved. It just really stinks when you have walked the straight and narrow your whole life and now someone elses problems affect you according to a stupid computer...

·
Registered
356 Posts

can't blame the computer, it only does what it is told. there is no law that i am aware of that says you can only buy so many guns in a such period of time.

·
Registered
25,784 Posts

There are such laws in other states, but one might note that a flurry of handgun buying here, will probably raise an alert.

There doesn't have to be a law in place, for PICS to have a policy of noting such buying sprees and taking the time to look into them more thoroughly.

In the OP's case, doesn't matter to PICS if he was gifted with a handgun, won handguns or bought them. What raises the flag, is three or four background checks called-in within a few weeks, or several days.

·
Registered
298 Posts

To start things off, there is no limit as to how many guns/PICS checks you can have in a month/week/year that will "Flag" you.

I have a very common last name and i get put through to an opperator every time.

you can be put on a delayed status for any number of reasons and you won't find out what caused it. the only way to know would be if you were Denied and filed a Challenge form. the state police have to give you a written response within 30 days stating why you were denied.

I will be posting some info here in the near future, BUT PA RESIDENTS NEED TO WAKE UP AND START FIGHTING FOR THEIR GUN RIGHTS OR THEY WILL LOOSE THEM FOR GOOD!!!

I am one of a handful of people that goes to Harrisburg on my own time talking with the legislature to protect your gun rights.

if you want to get more involved join Firearms Owners Against Crime. It is a crime when ever a legislature goes against their oath of office and restricts you gun rights.

http://www.foac-pac.org

Article I section 21 of the state Constitution:
The Right of the Citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the state SHALL NOT BE QUESTIONED!

·
Registered
25,784 Posts

To start things off, there is no limit as to how many guns/PICS checks you can have in a month/week/year that will "Flag" you.
Didn't say there was an "official" limit that is supposed to raise a flag.

Said I suspect PICS has a policy of paying attention to a flurry of handgun purchases in a short period of time and does whatever they want to do, to find out why.

Much like the PA statute that clearly prohibits PSP from keeping a registry of handgun purchases and was not upheld by our Supreme Court, I don't expect anyone or anything to deter them from doing what they want to do in this regard, either.

I have also spent some time expressing support for our Second Amendment rights on Capitol Hill and in other venues. More of us should do it, but it does not change the fact that neither our highest court, nor the General Assembly, shows any ability or desire, to rein-in PSP.

·
Registered
298 Posts

DennyF said:
Didn't say there was an "official" limit that is supposed to raise a flag.

Said I suspect PICS has a policy of paying attention to a flurry of handgun purchases in a short period of time and does whatever they want to do, to find out why.

Much like PA statutes that clearly prohibit PSP from keeping a registry of handgun purchases and was not upheld by our Supreme Court, I don't expect anyone or anything to deter them from doing what they want to do in this regard, either.

I have also spent some time expressing support for our Second Amendment rights on Capitol Hill and in other venues. More of us should do it, but it does not change the fact that neither our highest court, nor the General Assembly, shows any ability to rein-in PSP.
my first sentence was to all who said that 3 or more would cause a flag to be raised.

on August 26th the state police were brought before the Repulican Policy Committee. this was a public hearing that anyone could have attended and was held at Hempfield Hunt Club in New Stanton, PA. (The club lounge was packed with sportsmen who refused to attend the hearing in the next room! most don't care about their gun rights and what the PA State Police have done to them over the years).

7 legislators were present, Tim Kreiger, Seth Grove, Rep Saylor......

Testimony was given by FOAC, concerned citizens, Pro-Gun Lawyers, and Gun Dealers. at the last minute the State Police refused to attend and sent a 2 page rebutal to the Committee.

the main focus of the hearing was to do away with the PICS System and go with the NCIS System, and do away with the sales Data base.

so far 3 of those reps are working on Legislation for the next session if they are re-elected to office in november to hold the state police accountable for their actions. Tom Corbet if elected has stated to FOAC that he would stop the PSP sales data base and riegn in the PSP.

·
Registered
25,784 Posts

Tom Corbett if elected has stated to FOAC that he would stop the PSP sales data base and reign in the PSP.
He has made that statement more than once and we should hold him to it, when elected.

I am also fully aware of your org's stance on PICS vs NICS. Have heard Kim give that presentation more than once, usually in the presense of one Mr. Kelly from PICS.

·
Registered
298 Posts

DennyF said:
Tom Corbett if elected has stated to FOAC that he would stop the PSP sales data base and reign in the PSP.
He has made that statement more than once and we should hold him to it, when elected.

I am also fully aware of your org's stance on PICS vs NICS. Have heard Kim give that presentation more than once, usually in the presense of one Mr. Kelly from PICS.

Just wait and see what Seth Grove is working on!
he was ready to rip the PSP leadership apart, but they didn't show up.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts