The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel like a little kid at Christmas time.

I bought a new safe and me and the boyz are going after it tomorrow afternoon.

I cant wait to get my "big toy" home.

I have its new home all cleared out and ready to go.

Anyone have any good ways to store/hang Encore brls in your safe?

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
I hope this get there in time, but the easiest way to move big safes is with cut pieces of pvc pipe. The same way the Egyptian moved big stones with logs. I watched 4 guys struggle to get mine off a truck and to the front door. When they got it in they wanted a few bucks more to move it to its perm. location and I laughed. I bet them $50 I could do it alone. That is when the "brains" of their opperation said I'll pay $100 bucks if you move it 2 feet. I felt bad taking his money, but he did say spending that $100 bucks will come in handy. He then asked me where the closest hardware/lumber yard was. When I told him, he said they had 3 more safe to move that week. I gave him my pvc pipes, but kept his $100!

·
Registered
4,756 Posts
When I was a kid the old man kept all our guns in glass doored gun cabinets so everyone could check out all of our guns.TODAY,I have all mine locked in an eight lug safe so NO ONE knows what I have.My have the times changed.In my opinion a good safe is an awesome investment,I wouldn't be without mine.Good buy ace.

·
Registered
846 Posts
10der - I am with you. I was at a flea market last week, and a guy was selling beautiful gun cabinets, ornately carved with deer and elk over the glass. I told him I bet you don't sell many of these, as everyone has to keep everything in a safe. He said he gets told that a lot, but was working to build something that would cover a safe....good luck.

I moved mine with 1 inch wooden dowels -- but 2 inch PVC would go twice as far - easier.

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
My Grandpa never had a cabinet or a safe. He just hid guns in different corners and closets around the house.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys...its home safe and sound (no pun intended...LOL)

Fly...it was an easy move. The safe weighs 1100 #'s. We used a flat bed car trailer. I was able to back right up to the loading dock at the gun shop. We used a pallet jack to well the safe to the trailer. 6 of us laid it down on pipes...then we rolled it to the front of the trailer.

Strapped it down and away we went.

I have a garage door under my house. So I was able to back down to it. There is enough of a slope...we slid the safe right off the back of the trailer. When the bottom got to the ground...it was angled...4 of us stood it up and there she was.

I was able to borrow the pallet jack from the gun shop. Grabbed the safe and wheeled it across the basement floor on the jack...set 'er down...its nice and level...job well done.

Couldnt have done it without my good buddies who have moved numerous safes.

Here she is...I used to think the old was "big"...LOL

She measures 44" x 30" x 72" - 60 gunner

Unfortunately this beautiful piece of furniture is getting retired.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Looks good and I'm glad to hear everything went well! Now the real fun starts with filling that beast up!!

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Its going to be close to capacity as it is...but I hope to put something new and shiny in it soon...just becuz thats what needs to happen. LOL

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Loaded 'er up today.

Its a shame the way they make these things. The front row is basically useless. If you put a gun in the front row you cant get the door closed.

But...its loaded and I feel better now with everything locked and out of the oak cabinet and small safe.

·
Registered
6,510 Posts
I really don't like them.I have heard of humidity problems and rust along with the fact that there is a video on Youtube showing EVERYONE how to break into these things in less than 1 minute.I will say they would be good in a fire.
It just my opinion.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have heaters in both of my safes and up to this point never had a problem with the first safe.

Its not "bullet proof" (so to say), but its better than having them in a wooden gun case.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts