The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Administrator
31,878 Posts
Sounds like you should skip the cool days and only hot when it really hot and humid! Let us know how that works. 😉
The Roe deer here rut in July and August. The hotter the temp the more active the rutting.
These deer are just plain weird. But I've shot a few during days where if I wasn't hunting I'd be in shorts. 😁

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
deer do, what they want to do, when they feel like doing it.
they get hungry they eat, they get thirsty they drink, they get restless, they get up and move, they get tired they bed down. they dont have a schedule to follow thats set by outdoor writers :)
But but but….. they can’t do that!!!!!!

·
Registered
30,708 Posts
one time i had somewhere in the area of 20 videos on my trail cam, i thought great...got a lot of movement. i had a deer bed down in front of the camera and it kept changing positions and going back to sleep. it was raining and windy. it looked like it kept changing positions every time the rain would blow into its face. really neat to see.

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So I had been getting pictures on my cell cam pretty regularly for the five days I had it in the field…. Now 4 straight days w/o a picture.

Camera status says batteries are 100 percent and signal is fair.

It’s my first foray into call cameras… when do you bite the bullet and go check to see if it is working?

·
Registered
67 Posts
So I had been getting pictures on my cell cam pretty regularly for the five days I had it in the field…. Now 4 straight days w/o a picture.

Camera status says batteries are 100 percent and signal is fair.

It’s my first foray into call cameras… when do you bite the bullet and go check to see if it is working?
TAKE - I run 14 cameras with 4 being cellular. 3 of the 4 have GOOD signals while the 3rd has a weak signal. The most time that I have not had any pictures was 2 days. The weak signal camera still takes pictures. I don't think going 4 days without pictures is uncommon especially during this time of year. The deer may be going to mast crop. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,024 Posts
Having a trail cam that fails to take pictures is heart breaking. When you open that DCIM folder and it says empty, it's like a dagger through the heart. Especially when you see tons of sign, the ground tore up.....you know there were deer actively using the area....but the camera malfunctioned. Bummer.

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Having a trail cam that fails to take pictures is heart breaking. When you open that DCIM folder and it says empty, it's like a dagger through the heart. Especially when you see tons of sign, the ground tore up.....you know there were deer actively using the area....but the camera malfunctioned. Bummer.
This is the reason I went to a cell camera....

Came home one two many times and had no pics. Told my wife, " I'm done" and dropped 4 cameras in the trash.

·
Super Moderator
14,979 Posts
I run 14 cams also. I run them about every 3 weeks and usually just before a rain. I have never really noticed the number of days between no photos. However, I usually have so many pictures it takes some time to review all of them.

In the case of the larger rack bucks, near their bed downs and areas where doe are not feeding and spending time it is not unusual not to have only a few pictures over time. I usually put more cams around the area to try to pick up their movement.

Deer can be walking all around a cam but not in front of it making one believe there are no deer in the area.

If the cam is on a trail perhaps a tree fell accross their trail and their have rerouted their travel behind the cam.

I guess, if I only had one cam I would be more concerned.

I would give it a few more days then go out and check the cam. Hope the the Cam is OK.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts