The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard people refer to carp as the "Freshwater Bonefish"...I say that's bunk. I finally landed my first one on the fly rod on the 8wt, and if bonefish pull like that I can't believe it. After 15 minutes, I finally got him to me and when I touched his tail to land him he took off like he was shot out of a canon...after what seemed like another 15 minutes, I finally subdued him enough for a picture. INCREDIBLE power, just incredible. I lost another one after about a 5 minute battle that appeared bigger and had another on for a run before un-bottuning.

Just a Big Minnow by Jason Weller, on Flickr

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Great Job--
They weaken your arms when you battle them with med duty spinning gear...

you must have had one heck of a great time with the fly outfit!!

care to share - what fly you tempted it with?
They are not easy to fool with a fly...

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
HD1969 said:
Great Job--
They weaken your arms when you battle them with med duty spinning gear...

you must have had one heck of a great time with the fly outfit!!

care to share - what fly you tempted it with?
They are not easy to fool with a fly...
I used a dark clouser that I had for bass fishing. I also had one take a black wooly bugger, but I lost him. I noticed that most of these flies ( http://www.flycarpin.com/p/flies-for-carp.html ) had the dumbell eyes so they sat on the bottom and a clouser was the closest I had (until I tie some up this week). It took me about 2 hours of trying to get it on the bottom in front of feeding carp. I just found an area they kept returning to to feed and waited...kind of boring actually, but it was certainly worth it!

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
They are arm achers for sure. The past two years I have caught one each year while stripping wooly buggers for trout.

I occasonally fish specifically for them in a stream that feeds into a lake. I watch for one feeding and then cast a little above him and let the wooly bugger him bottom and then jiggle it a little bit. I think they feel the vibration in the water to zero in on their intended meal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.