The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...come on. I am taking Thursday 10/20 off to hunt and just saw the forecast for wind/Rain AGAIN, high in the 40's.

That has pretty much been the scenario for me every day out so far this year with the crossbow. Only nice day I hunted in the Fall woods was the youth pheasant day.

Oct. 20th is the day my brother passed away in 2004, so I take it off (if I can) for more reasons then just hunting, call it a good for the soul day, but I guess I was hoping that woods time reflecting on what it all means would be a bit nicer than in the rain, WIND and 40's.

Well as old Pap said "deer don't live in holes", so rain, wind and 40's it is. Least i got new Muck boots for this outing...it only takes a second.

·
Registered
21,381 Posts
Best of luck to you RB. I have "soul" days too. Just getting out there, if only for an hour, seems to be enough.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Rain is a funny thing. It can go from being a curse to a godsend in a second.

Chin up!! Here's hoping the rain/wind works to your advantage on Thurs.

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys for the shots of encouragement, my property does not lend well to still hunting due to the terrain, narrowness and yellow signs all around it...maybe it is a day to explore old haunts...Or

Other consideration, Kids here get out of school at 11AM on Friday, going to ask if anyone wants to hunt in the PM. If I get a yes response I think I am going to change my hunt day to Friday...hunt til 11 solo, then with one of the kids til dinnertime. My brother will understand, just a tough day to be at a desk.

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
rain yes i will be out, but watch how hard the wind blows around....deer are spooky in the high windy days.......bob

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I switched to Friday off about an hour ago..less wind and lighter rain, and the kids have the PM off.

So I will go solo in the AM, then hit it with one of the boys in the afternoon. Works out better.

I think about my brother every single day, so he will just have to understand the 24 hour delay, which I am sure he does
he still knows me pretty well.

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks missed for the comment...yes he is with me every hunt, even if i have to drag him from the heavens to go with me....Jim did not really like hunting that much, always was a fight for dad to get him to come along and when you did get him to go, an hour into the hunt you wondered why Dad fought so hard to get him to come along, cause he 'd complain ALOT...

Well dark days like October 20th, 2004 when we said goodbye...thats why...I'd love to hear him complain about the rain and not seeing anything right now.

·
Super Moderator
24,060 Posts
Thursday is my only day off this week so i'm going out anyway, I won't melt.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
RB, I lost my Father on Oct. 20th in 1989, so I know
it's a good day to be in the woods and reflect on better
days gone by. Enjoy your day off and if you figure out
"what it all means", don't post it, I'm trying to figure
it out on my own! Godspeed to you this season.

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
God Bless Matchman, Enjoy your season.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
This got me thinking about my brother who passed at much too young an age. He wasn't much for deer hunting, but loved to hunt ducks. Pouring down rain is perfect for duck hunting.

·
Banned
1,455 Posts
remember when you rushed home from school and got to go out for a hour . it could have been a blizzard but you went. Are we getting softer or smarter . lol

·
Registered
745 Posts
Just wanted to add some words of encouragement to those who need to hunt in the rain. Last season I never got a chance to shoot a nice buck with my bow, so I (like most seasons) entered the woods with my .270 waiting for a shot at a respectable buck. It was the second day of rifle and we got pounded with rain. It is considered the rainiest November day on record and I shot a nice 18 1/2in 8pt at 4:45pm. It was up and moving naturally. So hang in there if you have to hunt the rain. I was limited on days and it was a blessing to me.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts