The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We setup in a spot on the property that was known in the past to have a Tom or two roosting. This parcel was also logged 2 years ago which provided a lot more cover and a lot more potential for new growth and better turkey habitat. The tram road we had setup on sat on a ridge top that connected two fields, roughly 150yds between the connecting fields, we decided to setup our decoys in the middle of the tram road to better our chances of a bird coming from either direction.
The setup was good, but once the wind picked up that changed our game plan. After an hour we decided to pick up the decoys and walk the property and try to catch a turkey in the open. We walked to a hollow where the wind wasn’t as prevalent, hopeful a bird would be there, but no luck. Upon walking some more I noticed that I had lost the lense cover to my binoculars. Not having any luck so far, we back tracked our steps to our original setup location to find the lense cover. As we round a corner, concealed by cut tree tops, I noticed movement on the tram road we had originally setup on, it was a hen. She was walking away from us, up a small hill that leads to a field. While watching her, another hen pops out and then another hen, both taking the same path to the field. Thinking that they couldn’t be alone, a Tom in tow is right behind them, 30 yards away from us. Being behind thick cover and the Tom walking away, I pulled my gun up and took 2 steps to my right, to get a clear shot and dropped him.
Nothing but luck when it came to this hunt. The timing of everything, the back tracking for the lense cover, the fact the turkeys had not spotted us while walking, nothing but luck. He weight 18.7 lbs, 1” spurs and a 9 1/4 beard. This hunt will go down as the luckiest hunt that I’ve ever had.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
24,169 Posts
Nice bird congrats!!

·
Super Moderator
3,973 Posts
Outstanding bird, congrats!

·
Super Moderator
13,514 Posts
Sometimes it seems impossible and every once in a while a luck break comes along....Congrats.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts