The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
you think that hurricane sandy had any effect on the rut....i am thinking that a higher percentage of the does may not have been bred and could possibly come back into heat during rifle season.....

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Could happen. Each year there are a small number of does that come in during rifle or slightly before. This year I would assume that number will or could be higher

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
im under the assumption (big assumption) that for those 2-3 days of little or no movement those does ready to be bred never were and will re- cycle during rifle.....like 171farm said it happens every year but this year there could be even more willing does

·
Registered
52,307 Posts
If foul weather would suppress the breedinng cycle I would understand your theory.....but who knows for sure that it did, hope so, would work out a little better for us, maybe.....

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
There was absolutely 0 rut activity around here until Wednesday (11-7)

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Didn't see any our way either... Bucks have showed little interest in grunts bleats or rattling, little to no visible chasing... I hope the 2nd rut starts Dec 26th lol

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
RonM said:
How would that event effect the rut...?Was not a huge temp drop
The rut is controlled by the does. The theory is that the second full moon after the fall equinox (what the Native Americans called the "hunting moon") triggers estrus. The bucks go crazy then. However, some people who study the rut think the extremely heavy cloud cover diminished the light from the full moon and possibly delayed estrus by a few days in many does. Whether or not that happened, I don't know. But that's the theory.

As far as temperature goes, the intensity of the rut during daytime is affected by warm temps. Deer are wearing their winter coats, and hot weather makes them shift most of their activity to night if daytime temperatures exceed 45°F. We had a warm spell after the hurricane, which is why some areas didn't see much daytime rut activity. Some guys hunting in 60°F temps found out that bucks dressed for winter are sluggish during hunting hours.

Steve.

·
Registered
9,479 Posts
True,and I have read a bunch of times that temps have nothing to do with it(not sure I believe that completely).That the shorter days is what triggers the rut.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts