The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Administrator
30,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
German Style!
Since I have been hunting here, all of my hunting has been by myself in an area I lease (for lack of better term) from the local German Forest Office. Many other American hunters here have suggested that at least once, I should participate in a hunt with the Germans. My family has pretty much been my only hunting partners my whole life, and I have been quite content hunting alone while here. But always thought it would be very interesting to see first hand what these social hunts are like.
Well, about two weeks ago I was invited by the Forester that manages the area of which my hunting area is a part of to participate in a drive hunt for wild pigs. The hunt is this Wednesday, so I took a day of leave in conjuction with the Veteran's Day holiday so I could accept. He said he was having some Dutch hunters coming as well. I really have no idea what to expect, but if all that I've heard and experienced so far regarding the German hunting traditions, this should be a lot of fun and one memorable hunting experience.
I'll definately post a story about it later this week. Hopefully I'll be able to get some good photos to post as well.

I better practice this greeting:

Waidmannsheil!!

·
Registered
13,869 Posts
Re: Hunting with the Locals

Let us know how the "after" hunt celebration goes!

·
Registered
15,144 Posts
Re: Hunting with the Locals

cool give some details when the hunt is over good luck

·
Administrator
30,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well it's a shorter story than I was hoping for.

In the 2 1/2 years I've been hunting here all of my hunts have been solo, this was the first time I was going on one of the drive hunts that are well noted here. And I have to say, the instructors of the hunting course I took over 3years ago had me more prepared for what to expect than I thought. Most everything was done as they said it would be. I wasn't worried about the actual hunt, more the German traditions I learned about but only have little experience with.
I arrived at the meeting point around 08:30 and met with the hunt master and some of the other hunters/forest workers. After greetings and introductions, they returned to planning the drives and assigning hunters to stands. Then about 09:00 the rest of the hunters showed up. Most were from Belgium and the Netherlands, and some other Germans. There were about 20 hunters and another 10 or so foresters. And the greeting time took about 15 minutes, as everyone greets everyone. And the same way, tip the hat, shake hands, and say the traditional greeting of "Waidmannsheil" (now you know why I say that to new members on HPA). Next we all gathered in a circle as the hunt master told all the rules, mostly on what can be shot. I was surprised at myself because I was able to understand most of what was said. Although I did hear him say "sehr wichtig" (very important)a few times and didn't know why. Found out later that he was reminding about using care when the dogs are chasing.
We then all headed up to the first hunt location. At this point it was no different than any large drive hunts done in PA, except that dogs are also used here. We stayed on stands for a little more than two hours. I saw one reh buck, but the season is closed for them. There was not as much shooting as I expected, but one hunter did score on a large wild boar, and there were a few misses. I wasn't sure I would know when the drive was over, but then I heard the bugle blowing and knew it was time.
After the missing dog was found, and congrats to the shooter of the boar, we all met up at a small cabin in the forest where they had mystery meat sandwiches and soft drinks provided for all. Anyone who has been here knows what mystery meat is

We then headed to the next hunt location, and again everything became familiar to me. Shortly into this stand, I could hear one of the dogs chasing something through some thick beech and pines to my right. Whatever it was continued down the hill in that stuff, and from the sounds of it the dog was right on its heels. Then about 15 minutes later, it sounded as the same dog was chasing something through the same area, but this time headed straight to me. I readied myself expecting a pig or deer, then out bounces a small reh deer. I started to bring the gun up, but the dog was right behind it so I had to pass on the shot. Two more hours on stand, but saw nothing more. And again not much shooting.
After helping locate a wounded deer, we all met again at the small cabin. I couldn't stay long because my wife had to be somewhere this evening so I said my thanks and headed home. Usually at this point they would do the display of game by laying out all of the animals shot using an order of hierarchy and size, with fires burning in the corners of the display. I don't know if they did this today because I left.
Even without much shooting, I had a very enjoyable day. I talked with some old-timers during lunch, and found they were as interested in learning how we hunt as I am learning how they do.
There are differences in the way we do things, but when it comes right down to it we are all the same. We are all hunters, and just that bond was all I needed to know that I fit in with the locals.

Waidmannsheil!!

·
Registered
16,275 Posts
Great story BCoz! Not every hunt needs to be successful with a harvest!

·
Administrator
30,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dug up this blast from the past because I just received an invite to do a drive hunt with the Forest office again! This one is on 3 November, which is the feast day of St Hubertus, the patron Saint of hunters.
This hunt should be full of all the German traditions.

·
Banned
2,004 Posts
I carry the medal in my hunting license pouch. They used to give them away at a church in Tionesta don't know if they still do though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts