The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For whatever reason I am having so much trouble finding 41 mag bullets to reload. I am thinking of using cast bullets. In general without getting specific about the alloy I choose to use how fast could I shoot a cast bullet witout a gas check?

·
Registered
893 Posts
first ask yourself if the bullet you are looking at is made to use gas checks.
You don't just put gas checks on any ol' bullet.
If so , there may be a reason.
But for your typical Handgun mag loads with a somewhat hard bullet , you most likely do NOT need them.
But if a speed is what you want , I will say 1400fps just for arguements sake.
Not a single one of my 44 loads use gas checks , and a few of them are as hot as you should be going.
All are hard casts.
Alot of gas checks come in to play with cast rifle loads.
Don't over complicate your 41 mag pistol.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
I think 1400 fps is a good rule of thunb.

I shoot cast bullets all the time in my 45 LC.
1200 to 1300 fps with no leading at all. The 270+ grain Keith bullet at 1200+ fps will shoot clean through any deer, boar, bear that is out there. I do not gas check anything.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help reason why I asked about the gas checks is because some factory loaded cast bullets have gas checks and wasnt really sure why.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
You should start looking online or having gunshops order bullets for the 41. They are not that hard to come by. My uncle and grandfather both have 41's. Both of them just go to the local shops, and have them order them. It saves on shipping to do it that way.

I buy almost alll my stuff that way now. Last time I needed something that I would have normally just bought online I got the local gunshop to get it for me. No shipping, plus they got it for me for cheaper than what the online price was.

I cast bullets for 357 and 44. The shoot fine, but I have no idea how they will perform on game. Plus the 357's don't shoot quite as good as jacketed bullets.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I am assuming your concern is leading in the barrel??

Leading is more a function of sizing rather than velocity in most revolvers. I can push non-GC'd bullets to 1800 fps if they are sized properly. 1600 fps is no problem at all with straight WW alloy. Tom.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts