The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Was talking to a few guy about the new automated licence for 2009-10,and one guy asked if he had a felony 20 years ago would that prevent him getting his licence this year,.He has hunted for 20 years with a gun never been a problem.Does anyone know the answer?

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
It will not affect him from buying a licence.If he had a warrant or is behind in child support .It could aleast that's what i was told .

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The automated system is going to show your criminal history is it not?.Before the new licences it was the W.C.O. job to run a back ground check on a person when checking his /hers hunting licence,but most W.C.O didn't right.Now with the automated licence it will be on the licence for life?

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I never was a WCO's job t run a background check on people they checked hunting in the field.The POS system will not check for felonies since it is not unlawful for a felon to buy a license, it is unlawful for them to possess a firearm. That doesn't mean your friend is immune from getting caught and going back to prison.

·
Registered
7,794 Posts
Worked with a guy with a felony record and he was always trying to persuade guys to make gun purchases for him so he could hunt.. Ken

·
Registered
12,368 Posts
Under the terms of most Probation, individuals are prohibited from having weapons. Concievably including archery equipment and cross bows.

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
zimmerstutzen said:
Under the terms of most Probation, individuals are prohibited from having weapons. Concievably including archery equipment and cross bows.
Sounds like someone needs to start trapping.

·
Registered
19,941 Posts
It also depends on what the conviction was for. Say you are convicted for stealing something valued at $2,000 or greater. That would be a felony conviction but it wouldn't bar you from possessing a firearm so long as its not a second felony theft conviction. The list of enumerated offenses that bar a person from possessing a firearm can be found in the Title 18 Pa Criminal Statutes 6105(b)(c). There are also several misdemeanor charges that will prevent you from possessing a firearm as well. Your friend might want to google that before he picks up ole betsy and starts off after a squirrel. There are very few felony convictions that still permit a person to possess a firearm. If 10 years has elapsed since the last conviction, your friend can petition the commonpleas court for relief and have his right to possess a firearm restored.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Like i told my buddy he will have to give up hunting now ,better to be safe than going to jail for having a weapon.gun ,bow ect...

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
No I didn't say that, if there is a reason background checks are run, they are not run as a matter of course on everyone a WCO checks in the field. Can you imagine what would happen if officers ran background checks on every encounter they had on a daily basis, the PSP computer system would be overwhelmed not to mention the PGC radio system.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I have 2 felonies from 21 years ago.Went to a rehab did my time.Do not drink or do mind altering substances anymore.I can get a hunting licence i cannot use firearms.Admittingly i must say ;I have become addicted to bow hunting.However using a bow has not stopped me from harvesting animals.80 deer to date with bow.Rabbits 'squirrels you name it.When i was on probation i was told i was allowed to bowhunt.However that was 21 years ago and may have changed.Yes my life becomes unmanagable during bow season,it sure beats bein in jail!I wont use a firearm because it is illeagle for me to do so.Also one never knows what coule happen out there even tho chances of an accident are slim.Its just not worth goin to jail for.And i might add that since i've been clean i have the integrity not to break the law anyhow. Have a good day!

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have been checked several times by the G.C always come clean.Just figured it was part of their jobs sorry for the misunderstanding.

·
Registered
12,368 Posts
Wilderness, there is a provision in the law to permit those barred from possessing firearms to again be able to hunt etc. You can file with the court to get an order to allow you to have firearms again.

I know of at least one case in which a guy with a drug conviction from the early 1970's got the order. He had an otherwise clean record, had done years of community service work and pretty much proved to the judge that he was an outstanding member of the community with a stupid mistake long back in his past. He wanted to take his grandson hunting. Judge signed the order no problem.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
You can use blackpowder guns as well.

Several years back my uncle was convicted of his 3rd DUI. His probation officer told him he had to get rid of all his guns. He went to our local representative, and he said that stipulation was actually illegal. Gave him a letter, and all was well.
12 years ago I got a DUI, and was told all my guns had to go as part of my probation. I told him I wasn't going to do it, as I knew what the law was. I was told to have a nice day, and don't get into anymore trouble.
As far as the felony goes, if it goes a certain amount of time (don't know what it is) you can petition to get your rights back.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
No, a felon cannot possess a black powder firearm, they may not possess a firearm of any kind. The definition of firearm for convicted felons is different from the other definition of firearm in the Crimes Code. Below is the definition of firearm that is applicable to those not permitted to possess firearms:

(i) Firearm-As used in this section only, the term "firearm" shall include any weapons which are designed to or may readily be converted to expel any projectile by the action of an explosive or the frame or receiver of any such weapon.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
18-3316. UNLAWFUL POSSESSION OF A FIREARM. (1) A person who previously
has been convicted of a felony who purchases, owns, possesses, or has under
his custody or control any firearm shall be guilty of a felony and shall be
imprisoned in the state prison for a period of time not to exceed five (5)
years and by a fine not to exceed five thousand dollars ($5,000).
(2) For the purpose of subsection (1) of this section, "convicted of a
felony" shall include a person who has entered a plea of guilty, nolo
contendere or has been found guilty of any of the crimes enumerated in section
18-310, Idaho Code, or to a comparable felony crime in another state,
territory, commonwealth, or other jurisdiction of the United States.
(3) For the purpose of subsection (1) of this section, "firearm" shall
include any weapon from which a shot, projectile or other object may be
discharged by force of combustion, explosive, gas and/or mechanical means,
whether operable or inoperable.
(4) Subsection (1) of this section shall not apply to a person whose
conviction has been nullified by expungement, pardon, setting aside the
conviction or other comparable procedure by the jurisdiction where the felony
conviction occurred; or whose civil right to bear arms either specifically or
in combination with other civil rights has been restored by any other
provision of Idaho law.

Which means any weapon gun, bow ,x-bow ,muzzleloader

Don'T take me wrong i don't think the G.C meant this,.I think it is uncle SAM way of making sure felonies cant get their hand on a weapon of any kind.Just more work for W.C.O.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts