The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to be in an area where i know we have bears. Not in the mood to meet one with only shotshells. I have Conceal permit, what are the rules for carrying 45 auto while hunting to protect one self from big brotehr bear.

I could carry slugs but 4 would be faster to draw then loading 12 gauage.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
If you have a valid PA License to Carry Firearms, then you are perfectly lawful in carrying your 45 semi-auto while hunting for personal protection ONLY. As you probably know, a semi-auto cannot be used for hunting or trapping in PA.

·
Registered
25,652 Posts
Anyone with a License To Carry Firearms can carry concealed while doing most anything covered under the Game Code, including carrying while turkey hunting, archery hunting, spotlighting, etc.

You cannot use any firearm during a season, that isn't legal for that season, but you can carry a semi-auto for protection. They are not legal for taking any game.

Be advised that a WCO will be very interested, should you have to shoot a bear with the 45ACP. A "warning" shot fired into the ground with the 12ga, should send most bears in the opposite direction.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
If you see a bear for that matter jump around and make lots of noise and the bear will run away quickly. I might add, they scare off grizzly like that and we only have black bears.

are you really that scared of a bear?

·
Registered
819 Posts
DennyF said:
Be advised that a WCO will be very interested, should you have to shoot a bear with the 45ACP. A "warning" shot fired into the ground with the 12ga, should send most bears in the opposite direction.
I dont know about you, but if I had a bear comin at me, a warning shot would probably be the last thing on my mind. Thats one less round I have to stop em.

·
Registered
25,652 Posts
Have already had a bear coming at me, full-tilt boogie. No shots were fired, although I did have a 444 Marlin in my lap (deer season).

Stopped it with just a yell. He eventually went elsewheres after I admired him up close for a bit.

Bears are neat critters, unless they're rolling your trashcans around or such.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The reason i post that question is because i had a massive, and i mean massive bear sneak up on me once during deer season at 20 yards. That was to close for me. I prefer never to be in that postion ever again. I did stand up, make noise, he looked at me, said he ate already and left me alone.
Oh, he left Slowly, not quick.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Unless someone does something really stupid with a PA black bear (like messin' with her cubs), the chances of being attacked are about ZERO. And bluff charges by a bear are not attacks, just warnings . . .

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
I am amazed at the number of guys, and not just in this post , that are afraid of bears. A little research on them will go along way to disolve your fears.

·
Registered
736 Posts
I agree that a loud shout some arm waving will send a bear away most of the time But what is a person to do when that 1 time the bear decide not to follow normal bear behavor.?

·
Registered
504 Posts
Pa-Plinker said:
If you have a valid PA License to Carry Firearms, then you are perfectly lawful in carrying your 45 semi-auto while hunting for personal protection ONLY. As you probably know, a semi-auto cannot be used for hunting or trapping in PA.
Yes!!! You can carry your 45 semi-auto for personal protection ONLY!!!. It would be illegal to shoot at or shoot a bear with it. As of now only semi-auto shotguns are legal for small game in Pa. Soon maybe 22 cal semi-auto rifles will be legal.

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
Not afraid of bears myself but, there is always that one in a hundred chance that one could come after you, especially if you accidentally come b/w a momma and her cubs. Black bears have attacked people and have killed them. I am not afraid of yotes either but, that young girl was just killed not too long ago by a few yotes. Any bear would get every opportunity to flee if it came to that kind of encounter with me but if I am packing, I will not wait until it is chewing on me to unload on it. Just sayin'...

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
yes one in a billion chance animals can be unpredictable, heck you might get bit by a brown recluse spider too, does that mean you carry a can of raid? or attacked by a angry chipmonk? sprayed by a skunk? carry tomato juice and vinegar.

I think a little research will go along way in being afraid of the woods. remember we are intruding on the wildlifes home area and they would just as soon go the other way.

as far as the "I almost got attacked" stories, did you really "almost" get attacked? ......seriously?

when was the last time a hunter was attacked by a black bear in Pennsylvania? where could a guy find this info? notice I didnt even add a hunter who "provoked" a bear to attack but we can include that also.

This has been one of the most pointless posts that I have ever read here on HPA. JMO.

one more question, If you have a CCP shouldnt you know the laws and regulations concerning said CCP? I know I do and hopefully you are more informed now also.....remember to watch your six, I hear squirrles wait to jump on your back as you walk by to savagely bite you in the jugular ninja style.

FYI a 12 gauge at point blank and I'm talking at the range where you really are being attacked a 12 guage with any size shot will comletely decintegrate any bears skull plate. if they are far enough away that #7 1/2 shot wont kill a black bear instantly you shouldnt have shot in the 1st place.

Please while reading note that the acronym "CCP" be changed to "PLTCF".

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
One more time.....it isnt a CCP. It is a License To Carry Firearms or LTCF. Hopefully you will be more informed as well

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I concour; You are correct sir. Clearly printed in the upper left hand corner mine also states "Pennsylvania Licence to Carry Firearms" I thought CCP was the current acronym for this document however; I was wrong. Thank you for educating me on this matter.

·
Registered
25,652 Posts
Not a major matter to most, since there are varying anacronyms for carrying concealed, about the country. No biggie in my book. Some states refer to drunk driving as DWI, some DUI. Still means the same thing and most folks "get it" during a conversation.

We should demand universal reciprocity for concealed carry over the entire country, then we can thrash out a common "name" for it, if need be.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I agree with you 100% Denny. Tell me if my county sheriff completes my background check does it change if I cross state lines?

·
Registered
25,652 Posts
Not really, since it's still about you. All that changes is the bureaucracy.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks people. understand it better now.
Oh and for those who have never had a bear sneak up on them at 15-20 yards. Trust me, its scares the livig lights out of you. Especailly something massive as what i saw. Not your daily skinny bear here.

But i get the point.
thanks
Case closed.

·
Registered
25,652 Posts
Carry some extra snacks to share. Bears love snacks.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts