The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking for a good scope for my Marlin 336 in 30-30, preferably a Leupold, my range is under 500....any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
2.5-8 VXIII or 2-7 or 3-9 VXII's aughta work nicely...as would a fixed 4x..i dont like going smaller due to the lower magnifications having smaller objectives..less field of view and less light..

the 30-30 aint no 500yd gun..i wouldnt put anything more than a 3-9 on it..no reason to IMO..but its your rifle...its not a great pick past 100..maybe 200 in the right shooters hands...

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
lol..gotcha!! not saying a 30-30 cant kill at 500yds..but, its not really a good tool for the job at all..

those will ALL fall under your price range then...

have to decide what YOU like...

some say they cant tell a VXII from a VXIII except when they pay for it...i have 2 IIs and 1 III...to me, the III is much clearer and brighter..i REALLY like it..my IIs serve me well...but that 2.5-8 i have, i love it..

like i said, personally i wouldnt put anything with a max of 9 or 10x on it.. (3.5-10x is another goodun i didnt list)

i got the 2.5-8x on a rem pump gun and cant decide if i want a 2nd or a 3.5-10 on my other pump..

id stay with the VXII or higher though IMO..the I's and riflemens etc are still Leupolds..but arent as good from what ive read...

depends what your looking for...their compact or light weight line might be something to look into as well..and nothing wrong with a straight 4x or something...

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
For a 30-30 I would look at a 3 x 9 Redfield or a Nikon Pro Hunter. No need to go overboard and if you have a rifle that shoots them accurately you can use the Hornady Leverevolutions for 200 yard shots.

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
For that rifle I would put any one of four scopes: and in case you can't tell, I'm a leupold all the way guy. They would be in VX2 either a 1-4x20 or a 2-7x33. In VX3 either a 1.5-5x20 or a 1.75-6x32. For the ranges you will be shooting with that 30-30 amy of them will do the job and they all have wide fields of view. I personally prefer the 1.75-6 VX3. It is the best scope I have.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
I have a Leupold 1-4x on one gun (44) and a 2-7x on a the other marlin (30-30). The 2-7x is a leupold and it is in Weaver flip over moounts. the mounts let me take the scope off to the side. When you flip it back it always comes back to POI.

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
I wouldn't put a variable scope on a .30-30 unless it was a low powered one. Serioously what are you going to use a 3-9X on a 30-30 for?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the input, Im going to hit up Ace's this weekend to check some out, and sorry for putting this in the wrong section. I didnt see the firearm one!

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I have a Springfield 840 (savage 340) that had a straight 4x on it.Didn't like it at all. Recently bought a Jap made Tasco 3x9 wideview from another member here and it is much more suitable to me.The key word being me.Everybody likes different stuff.I myself don't care much for a fixed power scope.I even put variable power scopes on my 22's.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
I am a big fan of Leupold 2-7x33 scopes.

I have them on pump guns, lever guns (Win.88), In-Line.
Perfect combination of size, weight, and zoom

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
great white hunter said:
moosehunter said:
I wouldn't put a variable scope on a .30-30 unless it was a low powered one. Serioously what are you going to use a 3-9X on a 30-30 for?
Old eyes?

I don't question the need for a scope on a 30-30. Just a 3-9. I don't even turn my 3-9 up past 7 on antelope hunts with my .270. I don't know how useful one would be on a .30-30.

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
Problem with the low power jobs is small objectives...I for one dislike them for that reason only...

Light transmission is lacking and I can't get on target nearly as quick as I can with a bigger scope....with my 2.5-8 and 3-9s I can pull up and make very quick shots...

Different things work for different hunters...I absolutely need a bright clear scope that I can swing and shoot...my huntin don't happen like on TV...sitting in a tower and deer coming out 3hrs before dark....

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
I'm goin with Mike a 3x9 on a 336-30.30 makes little sense... I would if I could find a real clean older 336 and if my style of huntin was better suited for a nice 336 then I'ed put a 1x5 Weaver Dangerous Game scope on it then be set for life. So many guns and so many things to do with them. I love to put together a nice outfit. Blue and wood still floats my boat. Long live the 336....later

·
Registered
889 Posts
If $500 was my budget then I would buy the absolute best piece of glass that I could get for that price. In order to do that you will probably need to look at a high quality fixed power scope. I just bought a West German Zeiss 6X42 salesman's sample for $500. That was a steal of a deal, and probably difficult to replicate.

But I would look for a super high quality new or lightly used 4X or 6X scope. I have been hunting in the woods with 6X scopes for over 30 years with no problems ever.

I would think high quality glass. With less emphasis on power range and higher power scopes. And all your money into top quality glass. Tom.

·
Registered
10,285 Posts
I have a 2X7X33 Leupold on my marlin 336 .35 Rem and had no light issues. In fact as it is primarily my brush gun, at low power the excellent FOV 42 feet is great for those brushy areas and running shots.

·
Registered
889 Posts
b&ghuntre said:
Hog, that is a good deal, what's it goin on??..later
I bought a West German Zeiss 6X42 in the early 80's. I put it on my Remington pump 30-06 carbine, and it really is a GO TO woods rifle. I am thinking about replacing that scope with a new 8X56 S&B. I am definitely going to buy the 8X56 S&B, just not positive what rifle it will go on.

The new Zeiss I just bought for that $500 price is still sitting in the safe. That scope does not have a home yet. I actually do not need it. But I could not pass it up for that price. I will find a good home for it eventually, but as for now, it looks good just sitting in my safe. Riding the shelf(I know that is a real shame!!).

Sometimes I really hate Doug at CameraLand. He can come up with some really realy really good deals from time to time. I also bought an AV Swaro 6X18 from him this past winter for $829, with the TDS turrets. That was also a realy good deal. I would suggest any one with an open mind and loking for a good deal to call CameraLand and talk to Doug or Neal. Heck he just sold me one of the the new Minox 3X15X50 with side focus for under $500. But that is too much glass for what the OP wants. But I would still call Doug if I was the OP. Tom.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts