The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you use for deer or bear season? Post some pics and tell what you use. I have a Remington model 7600 Carbine in a 30-06 that I use for bear and deer.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I have hunted with alot of different rifles in my lifetime. But I must admit my go to rifle for the past 8 or 10 years is an Encore. I had a couple of stocks built to fit me perfect. So I got a custom rifle fit for around $1,000 total rifle price. The Encore is a great hunting rig. It is short and very fast handling. It weighs just about right as far as I am concerned. And it fits me like a glove.

It is also great because I have a few actions and several barrels. And there is something to be said about getting use to a rifle. So all my rifles feel exactly the same. Regardless of cartridge.

My go to deer rifle is a SS 30-06 with a removable muzzle brake. I can shoot that rifle more accurate than any rifle I have ever owned under hunting conditions.

A custom target rifle may be more accurate off the bench than an Encore. I will not debate that. But in hunting circumstances the Encre platform out performs most rifles in my opinion. Tom.

With matching laminated stocks.

·
Premium Member
23,851 Posts
Been totin a Rem 700 30-06 for years. Last year got a CZ 550FS 6.5 Swede & looks like the ole 06 will take second fiddle!

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Deer (and occasional woodchuck) rifles for the wife and I.
25-06

7mm-08

Bear (and the occasional woodchuck) rifle in .300WSM

·
Premium Member
23,851 Posts
Muzettehunter said:
Great looking rifle! Nice shore fishing cart too!
Thanx. Least if i aint seein any deer i have a nice rifle to look at all day while sittin in Penns Woods!! lol

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Here is one of my favorites. Its a bone stock Pre-64 M-70 in .270 Winchester. The wood is incredible, right from New Haven, circa 1950. Its deer poison!

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Thanks Loggy! Many have speculated on this one over the years. Most agree the wood is from a grafted tree. You can see where it changes from dark to light the growth rings get smaller. I have turned down "piles" of cash for this one, it may go in the coffin with me!

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Hereis my first rifle Ruger 77 30-06 tang safety, Browning 2x7 scope. Got it when I was 13. Killed 1 bear,2 buck and 2 doe with it

Here is my 2nd rifleI inherited when my dad passed away in 1990 Weatherby Mark V West German mad 270 Weatherby magnum, Redfield 3x9 scope with range finder thingy killed 1 bear and 1 buck with it

One I haven't gotten to use yet Enfield Mark 4 no.1 303 british. 3x9 Japanese Tasco scope, Bishop stock

another I haven't gotten to use yet. Springfield 840 30-30
simmons 4x32 scope(due to be changed)

And finally my newest toy. Marlin 1895G Guide gun in 45/70 with a Leupold 2x7 VX1 scope

·
Premium Member
23,851 Posts
Joe the Logger said:
Thanks Loggy! Many have speculated on this one over the years. Most agree the wood is from a grafted tree. You can see where it changes from dark to light the growth rings get smaller. I have turned down "piles" of cash for this one, it may go in the coffin with me!
Amen Joe...I told my Mrs i may need a Wide Body Model fer sure!! lol

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
I am loving this thread! I will do one more, its special. A full blown custom, pre-64 M70 .264 Magnum by the the hands of the one and only Frank Pachmayr. Exhibition grade American Walnut, enjoy !

·
Premium Member
23,851 Posts
<span style='font-size: 17pt'>WOW!!!</span> I'm speechless!!!!

·
Registered
7,577 Posts
I hope you don't go out in public with that.........
WAY TOO PERTTY!!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
This "Mule" is going hunting this fall, thats what Frank built it for! Seriously, I met Jim Carmichael and Joe Coogan once of Outdoor Life magazine fame when I was younger. Jim had a fantastic gun like mine that was dented, gouged and scratched. He said hunt with em', thats what there for! I got one of the first "new" CRF M70"s in 1993 with a little help from Joe, he wrote the coming out article for them. Great guys, Jim is now passed away.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
Nice guns guys. I would posat mine, but I'm having issues trying to post them.

Model SIX 243 and 760 in 270. Of course there is the 12 gauge slug gun, the Ruger GP100 357, and the flintlock.

The last two elude me.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Beautiful rifle Joe.And I agree,they were made to hunt with. I'm not the type to have safe queens,if its a gun that I own its gonna go huntin

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Hey bear, I may be wrong, but i see the inlays in your Ruger closely resemble the ones in your Dads Weatherby, if you did that to be like Dad I think thats great! Remember when coming of age meant having something just like Dad's?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts