The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife's cousin lives in Oregon and is a hunting and outdoor enthusiast. He's said he'd like me to come out and hunt with him.

I hunt both archery (compound, Z7) and rifle. While I'm not a young pup (52) I am a runner and in really good shape.

My wife's cousin said we can hunt however, where ever, for whatever. Being an outdoor nut and young, he is in exceptional shape and says whatever I'm up for, he's ready.

So anyone who's been to Oregon, what would you suggest as a good hunt? Interested in your thoughts and experiences.

And as this is one of those "trip of a lifetime" deals, especially having the benefit of a local hunting enthusiast as my guide, I'm not going to be too picky on the "trophy size". I'd be thrilled with a nice representative animal that I could have mounted, but not saying "Pope and Young" or "Boone and Crockett" or bust.

Happy New Year HPA. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
9,959 Posts
I'd recommend you give Big28hunter a PM. He hunted Oregon for blacktail just this past fall and has a ton of experience big game hunting just about anywhere you can think of.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
I was in NE Oregon in September working and saw tons of elk and wildlife in general. From the little bit of research I did it appeared elk tags for that area were very competitive and hard to draw. I'd love to give it a shot someday though

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't know all the details, but my wife's cousin was discussing something about resident tags being transferable within a family.

I have not researched that yet, so take it with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
I would certainly take him up on his offer. Oregon is a beautiful state full of wildlife. I would suggest a late rifle blacktail hunt and also get a bear tag just incase you see one. I saw plenty of bear sign but didn't see any. Seen a lot of deer but mostly doe. Was able to get one that I am certainly proud of. I too wasn't hunting for trophy size. I was just looking to complete the North American Deer Slam. I plan on hunting out there again for elk. I'm 46 and also love to run. Consider myself to be in good shape but those mountains will tell you otherwise. Do some hiking with a pack up and down the biggest mountains you can find. Good huntin'

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
big28hunter said:
I would certainly take him up on his offer. Oregon is a beautiful state full of wildlife. I would suggest a late rifle blacktail hunt and also get a bear tag just incase you see one. I saw plenty of bear sign but didn't see any. Seen a lot of deer but mostly doe. Was able to get one that I am certainly proud of. I too wasn't hunting for trophy size. I was just looking to complete the North American Deer Slam. I plan on hunting out there again for elk. I'm 46 and also love to run. Consider myself to be in good shape but those mountains will tell you otherwise. Do some hiking with a pack up and down the biggest mountains you can find. Good huntin'
Thanks for the advice and the well wishes!

Good huntin' to you too.

·
Registered
692 Posts
If the cousin has acreage, he may have land owner tags, with a limited number allowed to be issued to non immediate family members. I'm pretty sure you can not transfer tags with in a family. Eastern Oregon is draw only for general tags, for deer and elk. I believe Western Oregon is OTC. You must buy a hunting licence to apply for the draw at about $180, which you do not get back if you do not draw. Draw application deadline is usually around May 15th. Deer tag if drawn is around $360, and elk is in the $500 range...Landowner tags are the same price as general tags. Hope this helps, and hope you go have a nice hunting trip!

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have a brother in law who lives in eastern Oregon. I know he and a friend each shot a cow elk this past season. I know an out of state license for the elk was a little over $500. I do not know if other cost such as a regular license were needed for the friend or not.

·
Registered
61 Posts
If you have the contact out there then all I can say is take him up on the offer. I have a friend who I went to high school with who I hunt with out there so for the most part all i need to pay for is my license, the trip there and what I eat in camp, Can't beat that. I've hunted turkey there and have been out 3 times SO Far for archery Elk. Of the 3 times my brother and I have been out we have killed 3 bull elk all on public land, 2 6X6 and a 5X4 bull elk. Some areas are over the counter some are draw, depends where you want to hunt and what would be close to where your family member is located. To put in for the draw you have to have the regular license which is I think $148.00 if I remember correct. The draw wether it be for deer, elk or anything else is then $8.00 for each species if I remember correct and we always buy a cougar tag which is just $14.50 for a Non-Resident just to have it in hand in case we happen across one while sitting on a wallow or in our travels. The Elk tag is $505.00 if you draw or buy the over the counter tag. Like you I am 52 but I don't run but am in what I think is good shape. I keep up with my buddy who lives there when we hunt but I am sure he hunts at my pace. I've always found that slow and steady wins the race if you know what I mean and he agrees. This past year we killed a 6X6 (me), and a spike bull elk and a black bear of the 5 guys we had in camp, Fantastic year. Good luck and your not getting any younger!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts