The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im going to gun hunt Ohio for the first time. Didnt want to have to travel too far so im looking to hunt public land not too far from Wheeling. Anyone have any recommendations where to go?

·
Registered
5,350 Posts
Is this for next year or this weekend?

·
Registered
949 Posts
Start with the Wayne National Forest. Its pretty big and you can do a lot of walking around there. The Wayne does get hit pretty hard through out the year but there are a few pockets that hold a decent number and good bucks. Your best bet would be to hunt the edges of public and private. Also, there are a bunch of smaller parcels that can be found on the ODNR website. Talk to someone at the ODNR in Athens Ohio and they will point you in the right direction.

·
Registered
949 Posts
iceman2525 said:
This weekend
Ok, i wasn't sure if it was for this year or next. Public land this time of year for deer will be tough hunting. Find the acorns! Thats prolly what i would start with.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Wayne NF is nowhere near Wheeling. Egypt Valley is close and big 14,000+ acres but get pounded hard. Be tuff hunting, lots of guys driving and some very thick area's. I sent you a PM of a much smaller tract of state ground that doesn't get near the pressure.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
I hope you dont have high hopes from reading too many articles because yes its better out there but not by much. Their hunters are not happy either.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Where you at in PA? I have an unused salt fork permit that I drew(odds are like 1:100) but its archery only. If youre interested and wanna come get it Ill sign it over too you. No way I am going to have time to get back out there this year.

Its good for you and a guest. The majority of it is now open. When I was out there for my hunt only a very small section was open so I didnt bother.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts