The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking into hunting New York next year.
Primarily because of the Sunday hunting/extending regular season and to give me an extra buck tag. Does anyone have any experience with hunting public land around the Chautauqua, cattaraugus, allegany counties??? Of course I'm not looking for anyone's secret spots. Just looking for general directions and comments. Figured if I start my homework early I'll be able to find a nice place to go.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I used to hunt in the Allegany State Park just above Bradford PA with a few others but no longer head up. The deer population in the Park is very low and has been for several years.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
I've hunted most of the public land areas in Chautauqua county, both state forest and wma. The areas tend to be small, with little game in my experience. The private land I hunt, wasn't very good this year either, but over the years I've done ok.

It seems to me that the posted sign is the new York state flag.

Good luck.
Brian

·
Registered
182 Posts
the extra hunting days (sunday + longer season) are a blessing and a curse.

I moved from PA to northern NY, so not the area you are looking to hunt but in general:

NY:
longer season produces less hunting pressure, when I have over a month of rifle here in the Northern Zone I generally don't go hunting if it's raining or windy.

PA:
short season, more hunters, more deer movement no matter what the weather

If you are going to hunt NY, I would suggest approaching it like an archery hunt since you will get more natural movement than in Pa and also remember you get to hunt the rut with a rifle so calling may work (I haven't tried it)

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
Run2Catch said:
I've hunted most of the public land areas in Chautauqua county, both state forest and wma. The areas tend to be small, with little game in my experience. The private land I hunt, wasn't very good this year either, but over the years I've done ok.

It seems to me that the posted sign is the new York state flag.

Good luck.
Brian
I've also hunted some state land in Chautauqua County. I agree, some are small. Many are very swampy and thick. Tough hunting, but once in a while someone gets a dandy buck.

The only success I've had in NY so far has been on private land.

Steve.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
I have a camp in West Almond (Allegany County). There is a lot of state forest in the area, 9P (I border Bully Hill, Klipnocky is just a couple miles down the road). Judging by the number of shots I hear, there is a decent population of deer. I've mainly stayed on my own property, but friends who have hunted with me have killed bucks on the state land. Send me a PM if you want more information.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts