The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would just like to express my dissatisfaction on the new hunting liscence. First I lost my liscence because the old holder was stretched out from the old style that was bulky vs. the new style. Second try writting on those suckers when it's cold like yesterday, they don't hold ink just leave partial pen marks. Third those holes in the tag, come on, their a joke, draging it tore right away and fell off. I think the game commission does these things just so they can issue citations. I am going to put my liscence in my wallet from now on and if I am checked will pay the fine, at least won't loose my liscence. More reasons to chase new hunters away.

·
Registered
21,381 Posts
First, the PGC realizes the licenses aren't perfect. They are having the same difficulty as EVERY OTHER STATE that has them.

If the license doesn't take the "ink", press hard enough that you can tell you've attempted to "mark" your harvest, and no citation will be issued. That is the same as the old license.

ANY license can rip, but these are "less likely" than the ones we had last year. I tried to "rip" one. I couldn't.

If you don't like the display requirement, then write the legislature. They are the only ones who can change that. I suggest you start with [email protected], [email protected], as they are the chairmen of the House and Senate Game and Fisheries Committee.

Much easier to complain than to actually do something about it. But, now you have the information that will lead to a solution. Hopefully, you'll use it.

By the way, since you are on the internet, you can "report" your harvest on line. That way you are in compliance, even though your tag fell off.

·
Registered
21,381 Posts
And as to the "I lost my license because the old holder was stretched out" arguement, you could have put the new one in a ziplock and pinned that anywhere (since you are "only" required to "display") visible; or sprung for the .99 cents an inexpensive "license holder" costs.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Gal where are they $0.99? Paid $4.50 - Just picked one up a few weeks ago at the local hardware. Soon, they will be more then the resident antlerless hunting license that is in them.

·
Registered
21,381 Posts
I got one at Gander. A heavy little zip lock thing like a fishing license goes in. Works like a charm.

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
Not sure what the cost is but Walmart carries them and they are cheap. Or get a fishing license holder they are even cheaper.

I do agree they are hard to write on but not imposable. I didnt notice a hole to tie my rope through so I tried to cut a hole to slip my rope in and it was pretty hard to do.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I cut two small holes in the ear down close to the head... about the same distance apart as the holes in the license.... get a zip tie, place through the holes in the lic. then through the holes in the ear and connect... the ear protects the tag because it sits "inside" the ear... and is secure enough it is not going to fall off... much easier than trying the "i was afraid I would lose it" then getting hammered for an untagged deer....

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
I take two safety pins and pin the tag in the ear, roll the ear up and pin the ear closed. The onle way that tag will come out is if the ear falls off. I am sure that has happened to at least two people on HPA.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
i dont know if this is legal, but i tried writing on my bear and fall turkey tag before i threw them away this year and a PENCIL works great..

·
Registered
20,874 Posts
I like the idea of the instant data they provide but the format of them stinks.I killed a doe last week on some state forest land.I had three other dmap tags in my holder for three other dmap areas and none of them have the name of the contact person like they used to.I had the tag narrowed down to two different dmap unit so I called someone that would know the other units dmap number.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Gal, your right, I just needed to vent, those are great solutions,but I truely never saw this problem comming, also my sharpie froze that day, and yes there were attempts made and someone with half a brain could see I tried to fill the tag out. The problem here is most of the wardens here are decent, but like anything else the few are ruining it for the many. I just needed to vent my frustrations about my experience with the new system.

·
Registered
21,381 Posts
Understand that. I vent sometimes too.

And I can assure you, not one WCO in this state is going to issue you a citation if they see you "tried" to fill the tag info out.

I hunted the other day and forgot a writing impliment. I figured, well, here's a stick. I'll scratch it in.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts