The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My truck was broken into at work today and everything stolen. We planned to leave friday for the mountains and I have no hunting license and no ID. I know my drivers license info and tried getting one on line but you cant print out a general license. Any ideas. Can I get a replacement drivers license in one day? Or is there away to get a general hunting license without a drivers license?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,546 Posts
I'm not positive on this but I think they can print you a duplicate drivers license out, the hardest part will be finding a center that is open because of the holiday. Hope it works out for you!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
none-zero
Its a good lesson to learn but I had my old ids(military, DL,etc) all in my purse with my new ones.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
240 Posts
Did you already have your hunting license for this year?

If so, they should be able to issue you a replacement based on your personal information. Follow the link I posted and get a temporary drivers license. Use that temporary license to go to WalMart or another PALS agent and get your hunting license. That temporary DL will cover you for proof of ID and purchase of a hunting license, both in the store and in the field.

DO NOT buy a hunting license or Drivers license online, right now! Doing that will delay things. Do as much, in person, as possible.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
599 Posts
ConCrnd_Sprtsmn said:
Did you already have your hunting license for this year?

If so, they should be able to issue you a replacement based on your personal information. Follow the link I posted and get a temporary drivers license. Use that temporary license to go to WalMart or another PALS agent and get your hunting license. That temporary DL will cover you for proof of ID and purchase of a hunting license, both in the store and in the field.

DO NOT buy a hunting license or Drivers license online, right now! Doing that will delay things. Do as much, in person, as possible.
+1, DL centers will not be open till Monday, I would try as many license agents as possible until you find one that doesn't ask for ID. You probably will find a license agent that will accept your SS# and issue you a replacement(s) license(s). Hope everthing works out for you!

I assume you made a report to the police? If you can't get a replacement and get stopped by a WCO and don't have your license you should have a copy of the police report to prove your not hunting without a license, whether it be prove to the WCO or DJ.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
240 Posts
sdwlucas said:
ConCrnd_Sprtsmn said:
Did you already have your hunting license for this year?

If so, they should be able to issue you a replacement based on your personal information. Follow the link I posted and get a temporary drivers license. Use that temporary license to go to WalMart or another PALS agent and get your hunting license. That temporary DL will cover you for proof of ID and purchase of a hunting license, both in the store and in the field.

DO NOT buy a hunting license or Drivers license online, right now! Doing that will delay things. Do as much, in person, as possible.
+1, DL centers will not be open till Monday, I would try as many license agents as possible until you find one that doesn't ask for ID. You probably will find a license agent that will accept your SS# and issue you a replacement(s) license(s). Hope everthing works out for you!

I assume you made a report to the police? If you can't get a replacement and get stopped by a WCO and don't have your license you should have a copy of the police report to prove your not hunting without a license, whether it be prove to the WCO or DJ.
While I appreciate the +1, I don't advocate any type of law twisting or breaking. And, if you ask an issuing agent to issue you a license under these circumstances and they do it -- that is called falsification and possibly conspiracy. And, you both end up in trouble for violating a law that you DON'T have to.

The Driver License Centers may not be open, but On-Line Messenger Services should be.

I will expand on what I said earlier,
1 - follow my link. It will you get to PennDOT.
2 - That gets you to local Online Messenger Services as per: Step 5: You may go to an On-Line Messenger Service or Driver License Center and apply for a duplicate Non-Commercial Driver’s license by using the DL-80 form. The messenger service can issue the customer an interim license that is valid for 15 days. This will allow you to have a valid product in your possession while PennDOT processes the duplicate request.
3 - That gets you your DL,
4 - that gets you your ID
5 - that gets you your hunting license
6 - that gets you your replacement photo ID ASAP... (If your picture is on file, you will receive a duplicate Non-Commercial Driver’s License with your current picture.)

I don't understand. My solution can be accomplished on Friday or Saturday, at any number of locations in the state. Why suggest subterfuge and a possible violation that could cost her money? Why try to figure a way to prove to a WCO or DJ why she is hunting without the right paperwork, when she can easily obtain it? Why not do it the right way, the first time?

Just curious....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,478 Posts
This past Monday, found I lost my drivers license. I happened to be a few blocks from the PA drivers license center. Walked in, gave them my DOB, name, address and SSA#. In 15 mins or less they printed out a brand new license for me, cost $12.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,394 Posts
There is no requirement to carry a drivers license or photo ID when hunting. The law says "provide identification", which could be name, ssn, date of birth, address, etc.

It's the same with polie officers. There is no law that requires the person to carry or produce a drivers license (unless they are operating a motor vehicle) or any type of photo ID. During an investigatory stop, the person would be required to provide identification, such as name, DOB, etc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
957 Posts
Steve,

so are you saying that all the person needs to do is to tell the officer their name and that is it ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
599 Posts
OK, went to undisclosed Wal-Mart today and bought my bear license for next week (4D). I gave the agent my SS# and was issued a bear license no questions asked.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
599 Posts
I believe Steve is saying you need to provide at least your name and some other type to positively ID you. This could be your name AND address, DOB, SS#, OLN#.

Steve please correct me if I'm wrong.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
240 Posts
Steve in PA said:
There is no requirement to carry a drivers license or photo ID when hunting. The law says "provide identification", which could be name, ssn, date of birth, address, etc.

It's the same with polie officers. There is no law that requires the person to carry or produce a drivers license (unless they are operating a motor vehicle) or any type of photo ID. During an investigatory stop, the person would be required to provide identification, such as name, DOB, etc.
Actually, the law says more than "provide identification". It actually says, "to satisfactorily provide positive identification." There is a BIG difference.

****On page 85 of the 2009-2010 Hunting and Trapping Digest:

Identification Required When Hunting: While
afield, in addition to their hunting or furtaker license,
sportsmen are required to have cards or
papers that must be shown to an officer or landowner
upon request to confirm identification and
residency.


**** Also, According to Title 34 - The Game and Wildlife Code:


Sec. 2711. Unlawful acts concerning licenses.

(a) General rule. - Except as otherwise provided in this title, it is unlawful for any person to:

(1) - (11) etc, etc.

(12) While exercising any of the privileges granted by any license provided for in this title, refuse or fail to satisfactorily provide positive identification to any landowner upon whose land that person may be occupying OR to any officer whose duty it is to enforce this title.

(13) Violate any regulations promulgated under the authority of this subchapter.

(b) Penalties. - A violation of this subchapter relating to:

(1) - (7) etc. , etc.

(8) Any of the other provisions of this subchapter or the regulations promulgated thereunder is a summary offense of the fifth degree.

(c) Separate offenses. - Each day of violation or each illegal act constitutes a separate offense.



Now, I don't know about you... but, a current and valid PA Driver's License or Photo ID does both of those in one single move. I think that I will continue to carry mine with me, when I hunt and trap.

Let's look at your examples:
-- a name- is a name and proves neither residency nor that you are even the person whose name you have just given to the officer...( not that anyone ever lies to an officer and gives a false name... lol, rotfl). Well, I guess the WCO is just going to escort you out of the woods and to their vehicle, so they can use the radio to verify your information.
-- a SSN- is a number assigned to A person and means nothing in regards to proof of residency or identification. Even if you have your SSN card, that does NOT prove state residency or that you are even THE owner of the card (there is NO photo or dated address on the card!). Well, I guess the WCO is just going to escort you out of the woods and to their vehicle, so they can use the radio to verify your information.
-- A date of birth (DOB)? - means nothing out in the middle of the woods, without paper to back it up. And, a Birth Certificate does NOT prove that you are a CURRENT resident of PA. You can't even prove that it is your BC without other documentation. Well, I guess the WCO is just going to escort you out of the woods and to their vehicle, so they can use the radio to verify your information.
-- An address?- Is that a current address, an old address, or a borrowed address? Do you have any paperwork to prove that you are currently living there? Do you have any proof that you are/or have been a PA resident for at least 30 days? No? Well, I guess the WCO is just going to escort you out of the woods and to their vehicle, so they can use the radio to verify your information.

{Is anybody catching onto a theme here? Why would you make it more difficult for a WCO to do their job, if it is so easy to comply? Why would you make it harder on yourself? Why make the Officer spend a half hour playing "Twenty Questions" under your treestand during the last good hour, when you could have pulled out a current, valid picture ID and had it over and done with in a few quick seconds? But hey, if you want to make the WCO take you out of the woods, ask a lot of questions and run a background check on you, because you won't carry and produce a simple photo ID, well that's your choice.}
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
957 Posts
ConCrnd_Sprtsmn .... it is nice to see someone who actually reads the book....

What some folks do not understand ... is if you fail to provide POSITIVE ID to an officer and there remains any question as to who you are the officer can take you into custody and transport you to the local or on duty district justice so you may provide HIM with positive id and also ruining your day hunting because you cant prove who you are...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,369 Posts
ConCrnd_Sprtsmn said:
Steve in PA said:
There is no requirement to carry a drivers license or photo ID when hunting. The law says "provide identification", which could be name, ssn, date of birth, address, etc.

It's the same with polie officers. There is no law that requires the person to carry or produce a drivers license (unless they are operating a motor vehicle) or any type of photo ID. During an investigatory stop, the person would be required to provide identification, such as name, DOB, etc.
Actually, the law says more than "provide identification". It actually says, "to satisfactorily provide positive identification." There is a BIG difference.

****On page 85 of the 2009-2010 Hunting and Trapping Digest:

Identification Required When Hunting: While
afield, in addition to their hunting or furtaker license,
sportsmen are required to have cards or
papers that must be shown to an officer or landowner
upon request to confirm identification and
residency.


Now, I don't know about you... but, a current and valid PA Driver's License or Photo ID does both of those in one single move.

Let's look at your examples:
-- a name is a name and proves neither residency nor that you are the person whose name you have just given to the officer...( not that anyone ever lies to an officer and gives a false name... lol, rotfl). Well, I guess the WCO is just going to escort you out of the woods and to their vehicle, so they can use the radio to verify your information.
-- a SSN (from your mouth to God's ears) means nothing. And, even if you have your SSN card, that does NOT prove residency or that you are even THE owner of the card (there is NO photo or address on the card!). Well, I guess the WCO is just going to escort you out of the woods and to their vehicle, so they can use the radio to verify your information.
-- A date of birth (DOB)? - means nothing out in the middle of the woods, without paper to back it up. And, a DOB does NOT prove that you are a CURRENT resident. Well, I guess the WCO is just going to escort you out of the woods and to their vehicle, so they can use the radio to verify your information.
-- An address? Is that a current address or an old address? Do you have any paperwork to prove that you are currently living there? Do you have any proof that you are/or have been a PA resident for at least 30 days? No? Well, I guess the WCO is just going to escort you out of the woods and to their vehicle, so they can use the radio to verify your information.

{Is anybody catching onto a theme here? Why would you make it more difficult for a WCO to do their job, if it is so easy to comply? Why would you make it harder on yourself? Why make the Officer spend a half hour playing "Twenty Questions" under your treestand during the last good hour, when you could have pulled out a current, valid picture ID and had it over and done with in a few quick seconds? But hey, if you want to make the WCO take you out of the woods, ask a lot of questions and run a background check on you, because you won't carry and produce a simple photo ID, well that's your choice.}


**** Also, According to Title 34 - The Game and Wildlife Code:


Sec. 2711. Unlawful acts concerning licenses.

(a) General rule. - Except as otherwise provided in this title, it is unlawful for any person to:

(1) - (11) etc, etc.

(12) While exercising any of the privileges granted by any license provided for in this title, refuse or fail to satisfactorily provide positive identification to any landowner upon whose land that person may be occupying OR to any officer whose duty it is to enforce this title.

(13) Violate any regulations promulgated under the authority of this subchapter.

(b) Penalties. - A violation of this subchapter relating to:

(1) - (7) etc. , etc.

(8) Any of the other provisions of this subchapter or the regulations promulgated thereunder is a summary offense of the fifth degree.

(c) Separate offenses. - Each day of violation or each illegal act constitutes a separate offense.
BUT, BUT, BUT, WHY Do I have to carry my drivers license with me?
Someone might rob me and steal my license...and if I have my wallet on me, they might also steal my credit card and other things in it....

BUT, BUT, BUT, WHY Can't a WCO just walk back to MY Truck and get the ID if he needs it so bad?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
957 Posts
carry a photocopy of your current license... it does not say that it has to be the current drivers license... just a form of positive ID .... and wouldnt it be easier to carry it with you than to have the WCO ask for it and you have to walk the whole way back to your vehicle.... not to mention it does say "WHILE AFIELD" not "if you feel like it" lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,369 Posts
yotehunter74 said:
carry a photocopy of your current license... it does not say that it has to be the current drivers license... just a form of positive ID .... and wouldnt it be easier to carry it with you than to have the WCO ask for it and you have to walk the whole way back to your vehicle.... not to mention it does say "WHILE AFIELD" not "if you feel like it" lol
I think you missed what I was getting out... see the Smirk?

Also, I didn't say ME, I Said HE could walk back to my truck and get it if he wanted it so badly

Again...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
957 Posts
Woody,

I noticed it... but was just throwing those out there because those are the NORMAL questions we get asked when we ask for id in the field... lol

Steve
 
1 - 20 of 65 Posts
Top