1 - 20 of 486 Posts

·
Registered
20,104 Posts
It's about time.....long overdue.

·
Premium Member
5,437 Posts
I'm all for it, agreed it's long overdue.
But I think the PGC will have a better chance of selling it IF?

They come up with a better plan for harvest reporting on Deer. (not this estimation bull}

Address the low Deer numbers in certian WMU's

Get a better hold on the Deer mortality rate due to the ever increasing Coyote population.

Regardless of my view I believe there are many Hunters out there that don't BUY what the PGC is selling us.

·
Registered
12,349 Posts
I have no issue with an increase. One thing I would like to see though is some combo licenses that would possibly save a few dollars if you purchased them together. Like if you bought a regular license, furtaker's, and archery stamp together there would be a small price break.

·
Registered
804 Posts
I hate to say it.But if the PGC thought license sales were down. Wait till they raise the price. Numbers will only continue to drop. People aren't going to pay more to get even less. JMO

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Those millions will not last forever. All the leasing of the gamelands that could be done has been done. Not all of it is producing gas royalties. Lets face it after 16 years it is time to increase the coast of the general hunting license. I agree that the junior license should remain the same, but I do think the senior lifetime license & combo license should be raised some.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Im with cspot, I would like too see a combo license.

I also have no problem with the price increase. Its been 16 years...

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
darkhollowarcher said:
Dont understand why there ia no mention of a pheasant stamp or a increase in cost of antlerless tags.
I agree about a pheasant stamp missing. The pheasant stocking program will suck the general license increase up IMO.

The antlerless proposal would raise it to $10 now and $15 five years out.

ML to $20 now. $30 in five years. Same deal for the archery permit. Bear to $20 now, $30 in five years.

If I figured right, a person buying a general license, a furtaker, ML, Archery, Bear and one antlerless tag will be paying $183 five years from now.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Don't want to even think of any price increase or new "tags" until some issues are solved and results are seen. Very low deer numbers in some areas and increasing predators are a few of the problems. Also some oversight by the public where our voice is actually used would be nice.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
I believe that the license sales have been up slightly the last couple years. There may be a decrease but I don't think it will be very significant, As for raising the doe license, yes I think it should be raised, but what will happen is the PGC will be accussed of selling doe licenses just for the money. I also do not understand what less anyone will be getting You will still be able to kill a buck & 2 turkeys with the general license, and all the small game you wish to hunt, plus the hunting of coypties almost all year.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I want to know how I/We are going to benefit from a license increase. They claim personnel fees have doubled since last increase, so have my expenses. If anything we need a decrease.

·
Registered
52,307 Posts
Non Residents get a $200. hit for a license, we were already paying $101... Hardly worth it if I do say so myself...

·
Registered
417 Posts
I have no problem with an increase, I would like to see additional stamps included- possibly an upland habitat stamp, and a pheasant stamp. In my opinion the pheasant stamp should work very much like the trout stamp does with my fishing license......

·
Registered
5,376 Posts
In 5 years we will be able to hunt NY nonresident for less than PA resident. Not a good way to help hunting numbers or recruitment. I will always pay for my hunting license, regardless. But someone like my wife will be hard pressed to pay $85 to archery hunt with one doe tag. You can currently hunt bear, 2 spring turkey, small game, furbearers, and a buck for $120 nonresident in NY. With the proposed prices plus the special spring tag to shoot 2 spring birds you will be $130 PA resident. I see a lot of people near the border being NY only in 5 years. Sorry, but while I support small increases, I don't support doubling license prices in just a 5yr span. Should be a $20 pheasant stamp and that will take care of a huge part of the increase. And I hunt pheasant, so it would cost me. An adult combo is too much of a no-brainer for PA to catch on to.

·
Registered
454 Posts
10 years ago I wouldnt have minded paying a LITTLE more for my hunting liscences, but now, no I dont believe it would do anything but further lower liscence sales, resident and non resident.

Hunting is not what it used to be, and it wont take much to push people into giving it up! I personally know a few people that have already thrown in the towel. Alot of hunters have the "cant put a price on time spent afield" but there is a large percentage of them that can and will put a limit on what they are willing to pay.

I dont know the statistics but how many states charge well over 100 dollars for a resident hunter to be able to hunt in the state he lives in, pays taxes in? Now before someone castrates me, i understand that taxes have nothin to do with the GC, but to a land owner that has to pay those kind of prices to hunt on land he owns, possibly to hunt and kill deer he may feed, and that the game commission has absolutely nothing invested in is just crazy!

I believe in this day and age that our liscence cost enough, we get hit with high taxes, and the other high costs of living, why not be able to enjoy one thing that we dont have to take a loan out to afford!

They havent been granted an increase in that many years, for a reason, now it seems like they are trying to make up for it in 5 years!

1 - 20 of 486 Posts