MEMORANDUM

Posted:
November 24, 2015 09:59 AM

Senator Charles McIlhinney

To:
All Senate members

Subject:
Memo #15 - Hunting License Fee Increase

In the near future I intend to introduce legislation that would increase certain hunting license fees issued by the Pennsylvania Game Commission. The legislation will provide for the following increases:
Adult resident hunting $19 to $29
Bear hunting resident $15 to $20
Bear hunting nonresident $35 to $40
Antlerless deer resident $5 to $10
Antlerless deer nonresident $25 to $40
Archery deer resident $15 to $20
Archery deer nonresident $25 to $40
Muzzleloader deer resident $10 to $20
Muzzleloader deer nonresident $20 to $40
Adult nonresident hunting $100 to $150
Seven-day nonresident small game $30 to $50
Adult resident furtaker $19 to $29
Adult nonresident furtaker $80 to $100
Migratory game bird resident $2 to $5
Migratory game bird nonresident $5 to $10
Special wild turkey resident $20 to $25
Special wild turkey nonresident $40 to $50

New categories of licenses:
Senior nonresident hunting $100
Senior nonresident furtaker $80
Senior nonresident combo hunting and furtaker $150
Ultimate outdoor combo (bear, archery,
muzzleloader, furtaker, migratory game bird,
special wild turkey)
resident $110
nonresident $350

The Game Commission is responsible for managing 480 species of birds and mammals throughout the Commonwealth. Additionally, the PGC maintains over 1.5 million acres of State Game Lands.
As one of the Commonwealth’s independent agencies, the PGC does not receive any general fund tax dollars. Instead, they rely solely on income derived from the sale of licenses, fines, federal reimbursement, natural resource agreements, right-of-way contracts, etc. License sales make up nearly 40% of the total revenue brought in each year. With the other streams of revenue in decline, the PGC needs to bolster their ability to generate income to avoid further, and detrimental cuts in operations.

The PGC has not received a license increase since 1999. This proposal would give them the ability to continue providing the valuable services that hunters and citizens alike have come to appreciate. This increase would apply to general hunting and trapping licenses, as well as add-on permits. It is important to note that general hunting and trapping licenses for junior and senior hunters would remain unchanged.

Please join me in supporting this much needed legislation for the sportsmen and women of Pennsylvania.

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
I have no problem with an increase, it should have happened a long time ago. but I don't understand $5 for archery and $10 for ml. seems to me increases should be the same or am I missing something?

·
Registered
6,705 Posts
blackpowder said:
I have no problem with an increase, it should have happened a long time ago. but I don't understand $5 for archery and $10 for ml. seems to me increases should be the same or am I missing something?
The BOC believes muzzle loading has been getting a free ride because of the October week being added since the last increase. The archery bear season being added seems to be forgotten, along with the number of weeks of archery vs the number of weeks of muzzle loading when calculating the new fee rates for each in the proposal.

At $20 for each stamp, it breaks down to muzzle loading paying $6.66 per week compared to archery paying (6 weeks fall, 1 bear, and 2 weeks after Christmas)...$2.22.

Muzzle loading will be paying 3X more. The proposed archery fee based on what is received is set too low.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Curly Maple said:
blackpowder said:
The BOC believes muzzle loading has been getting a free ride because of the October week being added since the last increase. The archery bear season being added seems to be forgotten, along with the number of weeks of archery vs the number of weeks of muzzle loading when calculating the new fee rates for each in the proposal.

At $20 for each stamp, it breaks down to muzzle loading paying $6.66 per week compared to archery paying (6 weeks fall, 1 bear, and 2 weeks after Christmas)...$2.22.

Muzzle loading will be paying 3X more. The proposed archery fee based on what is received is set too low.

That does not mean you could not archery hunt. Kinda get your moneys worth.

·
Registered
6,705 Posts
What does it currently figure out to per week in the SRA's?

The BOC looks at the statewide October ML week and calls it a free ride. Yet, they look past the extra weeks in the SRA's and see no source for additional operational income.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Curly Maple said:

The BOC looks at the statewide October ML week and calls it a free ride. Yet, they look past the extra weeks in the SRA's and see no source for additional operational income. Instead someone else subsidizes.

what ever it equals out to in the SRA's it is worth double the cost cause it is priceless. I am not sure what you mean, someone else subsidizes? You think someone else pays more for me being able to bowhunt in the SRA's?

·
Registered
6,705 Posts
SRA-5C+ said:
Curly Maple said:

The BOC looks at the statewide October ML week and calls it a free ride. Yet, they look past the extra weeks in the SRA's and see no source for additional operational income. Instead someone else subsidizes.

what ever it equals out to in the SRA's it is worth double the cost cause it is priceless. I am not sure what you mean, someone else subsidizes? You think someone else pays more for me being able to bowhunt in the SRA's?
I deleted the part about subsidizing as the word always opens a can of worms, but yes, if we don't all pay for what we receive on an equal basis, someone is over paying for another to get to the bottom line for what the PGC needs to operate...stay a separate agency.

At the ML proposed rate of $6.66 per week, and figuring 9 weeks for statewide archery opportunities, a $60 archery stamp is not unreasonable. There is no basis to say it is with that being the rate the PGC proposes that it needs for the Muzzle loading weeks.

·
Banned
2,004 Posts
I agree with that cost for a archery stamp. Need a pheasant stamp also.They have 1 for gobblers at $21 bucks they have to make it equally proportionate for everyone involved.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
I'm with many of the posters before me. I think a pheasant stamp is in order and I would like to see a muzzleloader stamp price that is proportionate to the amount of time we have to hunt...not simply equal with the archery stamp...or allow ML's to take buck in the early season.

·
Registered
6,705 Posts
The BOC's reasoning that muzzleloading has been getting a free ride irks me.

We all know that if we had 5 additional weeks in the fall, and a week to hunt bear, they would be proposing more than a $20 fee.

·
Registered
66 Posts
It's not hard to figure out. With revenue from Marcellus shale and timber down, the PGC needs a raise, plain and simple. Does anyone want to see the PGC merge with DCNR? If not, now is the time to support the license increase proposal before the agency goes broke!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts