The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just read in the paper last night 1 of 2 guys got cited for hunting under the influence; one blew a .1 and the other a .09 respectively. What's the deal with that? The state's DUI limit is .08, yet the game law is .1? Why wouldn't they stay consistent? This needs to change, and actually the HUI limit ought to be any trace of alcohol. I know I don't want to be near anyone that's been drinking and carrying a deadly weapon.

·
Registered
5,787 Posts
When I was young my dad once take a guy hunting with us who carried a flask of whiskey in his back pocket, made me nervous as a cat!

·
Registered
21,381 Posts
Debra Kula (Fayette) proposed the bill to lower the limit. She had beer goggles for demonstration and passed them around to the other reps.

·
Registered
21,381 Posts
HB 1523 (Kula) Amends Section 2501 of Title 34 by lowering the lawful blood alcohol level from 0.10% to 0.08%.
Last action: final passage in the House (Vote Y: 195/N: 0); received in the Senate and referred to Senate Game and Fisheries Committee.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Exactly, I find it really disturbing laws like this remain on the books and need to be debated to show justification for the change. How long has PA had a .08 limit for DUI?

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
i think that anyone who gets convicted of poaching should not only be fined but be sentanced to a certain number of hours doing work on SGL's,kinda like community service but it would be SGL's habitat improvement

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
IT was going to be changed when they changed DUI percentages, why the legislature didn't follow through is a mystery. The up side is HUI is not something that occurs often, certainly no where as often as DUI.

·
Registered
21,381 Posts
Well, it's at the Senate Game and Fish now. That would be Senator Alloway and Senator Kasunic.

Give their offices a call.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Both fish and game were in the origional bill when the DUI blood alchohol was reduces to .08 , the bill passed with reducing it for boating but not for hunting, don't know why, it makes no sense but that is one of the many mysteries from the Hill.

·
Registered
21,381 Posts
Kind of boggles the mind, eh John?

·
Registered
381 Posts
Pa law should include boating,and driving held to the same blood alchohol levels. Although hunting should have a higher standard seeing you have a deadly weapon.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
I think we should all get together, have a shot 'n a beer, chat about it....and then git out there and shoot something!....eh?

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Boating is the same standard as driving. As far as deadly weapons, a motor boat and an automobile are deadly weapons in the hands of drunks.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
vapor trail said:
i think that anyone who gets convicted of poaching should not only be fined but be sentanced to a certain number of hours doing work on SGL's,kinda like community service but it would be SGL's habitat improvement
Yeah taking away someone's hunting privileges and/or fine is a joke. A hunting license for someone sniping deer at night is a laughable consequence.

Community service (habitat work) would be better restitution especially for bear elk, or other big game/reintroduced species poached or taken illegally.

·
Registered
21,381 Posts
Fines, community service, and make them talk publicly about "their crime" at a Sportsman's Club meeting close to their home.

Yep, I am mean.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
Why can't a disabled person use his electric powered vehicle, which is licensed as an ATV, on all public game lands?

Restrictions could be made where these types of ATV's could be made to stay on gas well access roads, or logging roads, or the edges of fields. Obviously, not on "deer trails".

Yes, you can address the safety issues of having FO on the roofs 'n such, as well as minimum insurance coverages.

There are a few places around Loyalhanna Dam that I could hunt IF I were allowed to take my vehicle.

For the life of me I do not understand why I cannot use my "electric legs" to get where I want to go. It's OK for a fellow who can't pull a bow back (old law) to take his crossbow back on these lands and hunt. Hey....not my fault that my legs don't work. I still use a compound bow!

Come with me and see how quiet it is. Come see the land (albeit limited) that I have permission to use it on, and see with your own eyes that my vehicle doesn't rut, skid, or damage the land.

Hey....I just want to hunt.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts