The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In 2013 I started writing a journal of each hunt and started keeping track of my stand location, deer sightings, hours on stand and a few other things. One thing that I have found that has been very interesting is looking back and comparing previous season. I am a bit of an excel nerd and can run all kinds of fun numbers. Maybe I'll start a new analytics movement in deer hunting.... or not. Below is a comparison on my past three seasons. I would love to know if anyone else does something similar. The stats are only for archery season.

·
Banned
540 Posts
I do something like that. But I'm not computer savvy. I do it by memory.
Every buck I can tell you when where how many hours involved. Deer seen before.
To many people rely on a keypad.
God gave us a memory. Learn to use it.
Sorry- don't like computers.

·
Banned
40,543 Posts
I don't keep a log but I think it's a great idea and a lot of hunters do it. It's a rare person who can remember every hunt, every deer sighting and amount of hours on stand. Most of us are not that gifted.

Twenty years from now you'll be able to go back and have an exact count of every deer sighted and taken. Good job.

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
I have about 25 years of small notebooks that I kept religiously of all my hunting outings. Logged dates, time in, time out,weather, moon phase, wind direction, deer activity enroute to stand, on stand and shots passed up and harvests. Also logged other interesting game sightings or other hunters activity.
Great memories reading through the notes from time to time.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I have kept an extensive log book for over 40 years. Hours in stand, deer sighted, what trails and which way they approached my stands, how far each deer went that I shot, type of bow and arrow and broad, or rifle and bullet used, weather conditions, buck killed near me on any day I am in the woods, how many hunters I seen, etc. I then total all the hours and deer sightings at the end of each season and add my own comments of how I may improve techniques for the next year or move stands to another trail near me. Its fun to read back through these on a boring, cold winter day after the seasons are finished.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Stated Keeping a log after every hunt last year, stand location, weather, sightings. Will do it this year as well as I really enjoyed it.

Rem760 that is impressive and the post shot info is a great idea

The excel log is also very cool

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
I have not made a hunting log yet. I have made many for trapping over the decades.

There ain't no way in the world I could remember all my hunts. Often a buddy will talk about a hunt we were on many moons ago. Sometimes they will need to tell me the location, game species and more before it jars a memory of the hunt.

When we hunt most every day of the seasons, I don't know about you all but, they can start to blend together by the second week of a season.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I love that some of you have been tracking it for years! I bet it is amazing looking back and recalling a particular day what stand you were in and how many deer you saw. I am going to start tracking the kill stats as well. As far as weather and trends there is a trend of seeing more deer with a lower temp but that is easily explained by the temperature getting cooler as the season goes on and seeing more deer during the rut. I personally notice a lot more dear movement if a cold streak moves in. There was one morning before the rut where the temp dropped to the low 30s after it was in the 60s and I saw 5 different buck and a few doe it was a glorious morning.

·
Banned
540 Posts
irishiup said:
For those who have tracked, any notable trends based on weather, wind, moon, etc.?

I hunt a small area, about 100 acres. TheRe is quite a lot of pressure on the deer from day one. The trends I have noticed.
Biggest trend is full moon means no deer seen morning or evening. Have only seen a few in middle of day.
The rut doesn't do well either during the day. Lot of pics at night though.from every cam there nose to tail. Only sa 1 small buck during legal hours chasing a doe in 8 yrs of hunting.
Whether and temp here.
Right before or after some rain or snow and temp seem to be from 30 to 45 degrees. When it gets colder the afternoons get better. But that's flintlock season. For me the early season is best.
I've found the best spot by accident. It's a licking branch. Most bucks use it. Most importantly is giving the deer a place to get in the property from the neighbors.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.