The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone get out WEST hunting this year, if so did you do any good? Hopefully working on getting a trip for next season to Wyoming, maybe for antelope.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I was out in Wyoming for the rifle deer season this year. My buddy shot a real nice 9 point. I missed a MONSTER!(yeah, I know,Fish story). Ended up shooting a doe with 5 minutes left in legal shooting time on the last day we were out there. Had a blast and learned a lot. ! We did not have antelope tags,or We would have had shooting on those as well.

·
Registered
5,796 Posts
I was in Colorado 3rd season had a bad trip. Got sick and lost my hunt. Trying not to think about it. Bulding prefernce points for Wyoming trying to get a deer tag this year.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Not trying to hijack your post or anything, but I am planning on taking my oldest boy on a trip when in graduates in two years. A muley/antelpoe trip would be great. Leaning toward Wyoming, and would appreciate some tips if anyone can help.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
We hunted in Wyoming this year for deer and antelope. The amount of animals we saw was down from '09 when we were there last. There were 2 hard winters and they had an infection of "blue tongue" in the antelope herd. We filled a third of our tags, but we had a good time and plan to return in '13.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I was in Wyoming this year for rifle deer whitetail/mule deer. We hunted in the Black Hills National Forest on a do it yourself camping trip. I had a good time but did not see the type of bucks I was hoping to see. Apparently the last two or three hard winters really knocked them back. Saw alot of skulls back in the canyons. We had ten hunters in our group and five took bucks. Most of the bucks the guys took would not have been legal in PA. It was cool terrain and I had a good time, but if I do it again I would prefer to pay to hunt one of the ranches. I saw some monster mulies and a real nice buck on private land outside of Hullete. Talked to some guys from Gettysburg and they pay a rancher to hunt. They took some nice animals.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Can someone give me some info. on how the preference points work?

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
bclev said:
Can someone give me some info. on how the preference points work?
Each state is different and even within a given state it can vary from species to species and unit to unit. But a "pure" preference system give preference to a specific number of points. For example, maybe 12 points or more are required for a particular species in a specific unit. If you don't have at least 12 points then you can't get a tag. If there are 75 tags and 100 people have 12 points then a drawing is held. The unlucky 25 will be guaranteed a tag the following year.

Then you have a bonus point system. No one is guaranteed a tag, all tags are on a drawing basis. The more bonus points you have the more chances you have. Anyone can draw even their 1st year. States like Nevada square your bonus points each year, 1 the first year, 2 the second year, 4 the third, 16 the fourth. So anyone can get a tag but the more years you have your chances are very substantially better than someone only putting in for 1 or 2 years.

A lot of states, Wyoming for example on some species, use a modified preference system. Maybe 75% of the tags will automatically go to those with x number of preference points but the remaining 25% will be on a bonus point drawing. So you can draw the first year but those with a bunch of years will have a better chance.

Some states (species dependent) you have to buy a license first before applying, others you can just apply without a license. Some states (species dependent) you can buy a point without entering that years drawing, just accumulating points until you're ready to go.

All of the above also has to factored into the resident/non-resident allocations too.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Washington point system goes like this... Every year you dont draw, you get another name/point in the drawing. The more points you have the better your odds are of drawing. People have drawn great tags year after year with only one point, some people go many years with out drawing, it just all on luck. I drew my Cow tag this year with 11 points. kinda crazy it took so many years to get it, but that is just how it goes! Oregon's draw is very close to how Washington does it.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I've been Lope hunting in Wyoming the last 2 years on PUBLIC land. Last year I saw TONS..and only hunted 2 hours and shot a good one! This year we hunted 4 days and saw 9 lopes and only ONE small buck. Spoke to a local in the area we hunted and he even said EVERYTHING..Lopes..deer and game birds took a hit ovr the winter! I think we are going to sit out this coming year!

·
Registered
5,625 Posts
I have been archery Whitetail hunting 2 times in the last 6 years. 2010 was our last trip. We went 3 for 3 both times with all guys taking P%Y bucks. we saw 50-60 deer a day with at least 10 scoring 125 or better each day. We hunted in Beulah about 15 minutes from Sundance in the Black Hills. I have been on multiple outfitted hunts, and for the sheer number of animals and shot opportunity this is an awesome hunt. We actually have seen the real tree guys [ Blanton, Wadell} both times as they hut very close to us, and I can tell ya we pay alot less then their outfitter charges the common man.

·
Registered
5,796 Posts
Good information, i would reccomend even if your not planning on going for few years start next summer applying for a prefernce point. Wyoming starts preference points in July 1 you can apply. Go online and get there book and you can apply on line. I wished i would of done this years ago. I have been hunting Colorado for the last 3 years 3rd season and buy a bull tag over the counter. My friend i go with goes to Wyoming every so many years told me to start applying. So even though i have never hunted there i currently have 2 points for elk and deer. Some trophy units in some states take a long time, i have a friend who has 16 points in a certain area in Co. for elk and has nver drawed.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Colorado has the only "true" point system that I know of. The more points you have the better your chances are of getting a licence. They publish the results every year, so you know how close you are to getting your hunt.
It took 6 points to get a ML elk lic. in Unit 49 and we had 5 so we knew we would draw the next year, and we did draw the lic.

In Wyoming, you have to buy your "point" for $25.00. When you apply for your lic. there is a box that you check that you want a point if you do not draw for that lic. and you add the money to your fee that you send in.

This "point" in not like in CO where you move up in the rankings for the computer drawing. All this does is put your name in the computer two times, once for the point and once for the lic. that you applied for. Therefore it is possible to have your name in 10 times(points) and still not hit the luck of the computer drawing.

I think this is added revenue for the state, that is why we don't get points, we just apply for the lic. and hope for the best.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
I was in Wyoming - Mule Deer hunting with Trophy Mountain Outfitters! Truely an AWESOME hunt with a first class outfitter! Great Guides! Here is a picture of our group...

BEST hunt I've ever been on! WE already booked to go back in 2014 for the Elk Opener!!

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
My buddy and I took our boys out to Wyo this past Oct. over the Columbus Day holiday, so they didn't miss as much school. We got 5 antelope (3 bucks, 2 does) and 2 mule deer between 5 of us. I haven't hunted there since 2003, but I can say there seemed to be a lot less antelope and a lot more deer than then. Our boys bagged great goats. One on left was 14 1/2" one on right was 15"

I just picked up my boy's (the one on the right) today from the taxidermist.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Did Montana this year and it was great.The elk herd was real good in the area I chose,unfortunately the weather was not.probably the best elk area I've hunted,and I've hunted them in Co, and Wy. also
Went back for muleys in the rut and that again was an awesome trip.Passed on smaller bucks till I found a decent 4x4 the last morning
Montana is some awesome hunting if you stay away from the hard hit wolf areas.wy. has the best antelope hunting as far as quantity.Antelope hunting is also a ton of fun,and you CAN be picky.Don't shoot the first buck you see.I have points built up for deer/elk/antelope in Wy. so thats most likey where I'm headd this year
You buy points for Wy. in Sept on line or buy them during the draw if unsuccessful.You can easily buy left over antelope tags in Wy.Go on their site and find hunter management areas to hunt in your unit.They are free and give you access to private ranches
You can pm me if you have any questions on Montana or Wy.you can easily fill your antelope tags in Wy.Deer may require a little more work.Generally,if you walk a 1/2 mile to mile from roads you'll get into better hunting.Buy a good pack and be prepared to quarter your animal to get them out.Thats if you want some of the better trophies the area may hold

·
Registered
595 Posts
I hunted with a group of friends/clients in eastern Wyoming for whitetails in November. Great hunt in all aspects. The highlight for me was spending the first day in a box blind with my sister, catching up on things and seeing 23 different bucks that day. Seems like the older I get, the more the important the social part of the hunt becomes.

We hit the rut just right and saw bucks chasing, making scrapes, working licking branches and cruising for does. I figure I saw 60 different bucks in 4 days and I never pulled the trigger. Although on the last evening I saw a buck I wanted but ended up spooking him right at dark. The other 5 hunters in our group all shot 10 point bucks with the biggest being right at 150.

If you decide to do the antelope hunt, be aware that SE Montana and NE Wyoming north of I90 had significant winter kill and their numbers are way down.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts