The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a 357 revolver and would like to carry it for hunting purposes as a backup to the rifle or as the main gun. What holsters are you guys using?

·
Registered
23,364 Posts
a shoulder holster would be a good idea.

years ago i had a T/C contender in 30-30 and a 10 inch .22lr barrel both were very accurate. i had a shoulder holster for it. it was very comfortable and of course didnt get hung up walking thru thick brush in the woods.

that had to be 30+ years ago, cant recall the brand of the holster, Sorry.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I hunt with pistol last few years mostly scoped.
Pending what size you have is what holster.
As a back up ide go with uncle miked vertical holster clips on the side of you and tucks under your off hand arm pit.
Same as if its a main weapon.
If its a full size cannon
Bandeto holster by uncle Mike's is very nice but bulky and hard to carry as a back up.
I carry a s&w 460 8 3/8 with a 2-6 on top.
I actually use a cheap scoped holster i got for my contender off ebay for 40$ they still dell them on there.
But its very thin, i strap it to my hip or back going in. Once at my spot i connect a single point sling to the grip and rest the gun on my lap or off side of the front of my small game vest.

I am looking at a 4 or6 inch smith 44 for driving.. That i would toss a small micro red dot on top an wear a regular main side hip holster in.
Any other questions let me know
Dave

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
Why would you carry a scoped revolver as a back up? I hunt with a scoped handgun as my primary, but on the very rare occasions when I hunt with a rifle, I carry a non-scoped revolver.

I carry my back up on my belt with an OWB holster.

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the responses. The reason behind why I would carry the pistol as a backup is the stand I like to hunt out of is a mix of closer trees to the one side that deer like to hang in and farily open to the other side that stretches out probably 150 yards or so. Id use the pistol for something close and rifle for longer range. Id kick myself if I didnt have the rifle if a buck decided to stay a bit out of range. Now if im driving or sitting in different situations I will probably just take the pistol...this is all assuming Im able to shoot accurately with it.

·
Registered
18,580 Posts
cm20 said:
Guides choice...not sure if they make them for scoped revolvers though
Nope, not for scoped handguns. They are the best holster out there for hunting IMO though.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
slavage said:
Only way i was able to get an animal is when i started only taking the pistol an leaving tge rest at home
This is as true as the sky is blue! If you really want to score with a handgun, leave the rifle at home. If you don't, you will get caught with that 12 point looking at you a mere 15 - 20 yards away with your rifle in hands and your handgun on your belt.

That very scenario has happened to me at least 3 or 4 times in the past 20 or so years.

The last time I was so twisted up, I ended up shooting him one handed with my 35 Whelen pump at a paced distance of 16 yards. My 44 special was sitting on the log next to me but when he came running in chasing does, I thought it might be coyote running them so I never switched in time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts