The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Heed everyone's boot advise. all you need down to single digits is a 'GOOD' boot with thinsulate and a single pair of merlino wool socks. Your feet will thank you.
Yep! You need to be aware that if you get too much insulation or too many layers of socks - your feet will sweat and if your feet sweat - they will be cold when they start to dry.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Try camofire.com they sell a lot of good clothing on there. They change what they are selling every day. You just have to check in every day to see what they have. They sell a lot of top end clothing for way cheaper than you can buy it elsewhere.
I second this and one thing to do is check it early once you get up. This way you have a better chance at getting your size. I have gotten some great deals on clothing and other items off this site over the years.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Get yourself a good pair of wool socks. Don't wear them right against your skin, wear them over a thin pair of socks (not cotton). Many pairs of wool socks come with a pair of inner socks. Boots should be waterproof and insulated. As far as the rest of your body goes, you've probably already got what you need. Just read tags and try to avoid cotton. As others have said, layers. I usually don a pair of fleece pyjama pants under plain old blue jeans. Tuck the inner pants into your socks before putting on the outer pants, to prevent the inner ones from riding up your legs.

Wear a thin flannel, under a few layers of whatever you have. A hoodie, a sweater, or a fleece. Then a jacket. Don't forget your blaze orange. I have a $30 blaze orange hooded jacket that I intentionally bought one size too big. I use it as my top layer, and I'm legally set. Adjust what layers you wear to the conditions.

The market is flooded with high-priced hunting gear. Some of it is worth the money. Some of it is just a gimmick. Some of it is useful IF you are an experienced hunter and can use it properly. At the bare minimum, all you need to hunt is a weapon you are familiar and proficient with, blaze orange, a hunting license, and a place to hunt. Everything else is to increase your odds. Are deer calls useful? Sure. Do you need one? Of course not.

The most useful piece of gear you have is in your brain. You need to understand the quarry, its habits, behavior, diet, and anatomy. You need to understand the principles of upwind and downwind, and why being downwind lends an advantage.

If you don't mind me asking, what part of pa are you in?

·
Registered
651 Posts
Piece together some cheap gear, maybe military surplus/ thrift shop. If this is your first time, you might not even enjoy it so there is no need to spend hundreds on "good" gear. If you do like it, wait until after the season ends Feb-April and you should get great deals.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Dick’s has a huge sale right now. Saw a couple coveralls on discount and some base layers. Check it out

21 - 26 of 26 Posts