The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
I would recommend picking up your basic gear on ebay and craigs list. I also use sportmans guide,com. my husband and I got completely outfitted for about 7-800 bucks doing it that way.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Personally, I say don't get too stressed about finding "hunting" clothing, in the sense of focusing on "scent blocking" or fancy camo patterns or gear recommended on the myriad of "Hunting TV" shows out there.
Get yourself some durable clothes you can layer to stay comfortable and dry based on changing conditions.
Think Dickies, Carhartt, Wrangler, thermal underwear, surplus cargo pants, etc. Some basic shirt layers, flannels, sweatshirts, socks, etc.
Use scentless/eliminating, UV reducing detergent and any of the scent reducing sprays if you want, but reading conditions/wind and adjusting your tactics/location is far more effective than relying on clothing.

Put more energy/investment into picking up quality "gear" on things that will make you safer and more successful, things like binoculars (if your planned location has distances to justify it), shooting sticks (if you'll be stalking around fields or setup in a popup blind), a good treestand (if you plan to hunt from one, though quality can certainly be found in the used market.)
A good knife for field dressing will make the task easier, safer, and cleaner. Personal preference there, some folk like fixed blades, some like folders, some like gut hooks, some don't. Some like the $200 knife, some are quite comfortable with a $10 Morakniv off Amazon. As long as it holds an edge and is of the shape/length YOU prefer, spend whatever your heart desires.
You can buy a pre-made "dragging harness" or cart system, or you can make a simple toggle rope for pennies... Your call.

Make sure your chosen arms are in good shape, and that you're accurate, comfortable, and consistent with them.
Don't buy the hype that you need the latest and greatest bullet/broadhead/arrow or bolt shaft, $800 scope or $1500 rifle or $1000 shotgun either.

Circling back to clothes, it's more important that you are comfortable when potentially sitting/standing in the woods under a tree, or in a blind, or in a treestand for 12 hours than it is to look good.
Layers, (quiet layers!) and appropriate, comfortable footwear are the keys.
When I "retire" jeans, sweats, t-shirts, etc. from the "social" wardrobe, they go into my hunting/fishing/chores wardrobe.
I have a pair of insulated Rocky boots that have served me well for about 15 years so far, but I tend to wear my Muckboot Chores more often than not, even some of the colder weather. Good sock layers help with either. If it's REALLY cold (IE, late season or the occasional Rifle season) I'll toss my trusty old Carhartt bibs on.
I have an old (25+ years) Remington blaze orange parka, but unless it's below freezing out, I'll probably be layered up with an insulated $20 blaze orange zip-up hoodie on top.

Bottom line is you probably have 90+% of what you need on hand already. Focus your spend on what will make a difference in the quality/enjoyment of the hunt, don't stress on looking the part (other than complying with Florescent Orange requirements as applicable.)

·
Premium Member
23,842 Posts
I second Sportsman's Guide. Used by a lot from Cabelas before BPS acquired then...now very little.

·
Registered
6,469 Posts
Try Walmart for clothing, shells and other hunting gear, also check out yard sales and other sporting good store and check to see if the have bargain tables. Also check out public auctions , that are selling hunting related items.

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
Good general rule for hunting clothing including base layers is to Stay away from Cotton and Denim and instead look for synthetics or wool

·
Registered
495 Posts
What are you going to be hunting? Deer, pheasants, rabbits, squirrels are all things you can make do with what you probably already own. Especially natural earth tone colors. One of my favorite jackets to still wear is an old beat up carhart that I wear when still hunting. I don't worry about it snagging on green briar or getting beat up like i would my first lite stuff that I use for archery hunting and I'm just sitting in a tree with it.

When my son was younger and growing and I didnt want to spend a lot on him - we got alot of his stuff from Walmart and Gabes. We just layered his normal stuff underneath and he was fine.

If you don't already have a good pair of boots - that's one area I wouldn't skimp on - you'll be miserable if you do ... feet that either cold or sore or wet or hot & sweaty will make for a miserable experience.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. I was told about this page by my brother in-law. I am familiar with outdoors recreation and actually do have allot of thermals and warm socks. I do have to buy a pair of boots. Im just more necessarily looking for good jackets and maybe water/cold weather pants if necessary.

I am going to start out with small game and water fowl but I will be going to my brother in-laws camp for deer in December.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Welcome to the site and the world of hunting! A lot of good advice above. In my experience too much emphasis is put on camouflage these days, my go to pattern is plaid, works great. The one thing I would recommend investing in is a good pair of boots. I have two pairs of Danners that have held up very well over the years, I think they were both in the $200 range and worth every penny. I swear by wool in cold temperatures but it can be pricey these days, though you can find good deals on eBay.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I am going to start out with small game and water fowl but I will be going to my brother in-laws camp for deer in December.
Nice thing about gun season is if you get cold - get up & walk around a bit ... get too warm - find a log and sit back down again for awhile.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Where to splurge...a good set of wool baselayers, and a good pair of comfortable hunting boots. These will last you a long time and pay for themselves in the field.

Get a set of carhart brown coveralls and you’re basically set. Orange hat and a vest.

Sierra trading post has stuff on clearance a lot sometimes carhart factory seconds because of a crooked seam or something.

Many times I wish I stuck to the basics instead of compiling a basement full of clothes and gear!

Gun-wise...a pump shotgun combo w a rifled barrel has you covered for essentially anything PA can throw at you.

Welcome and good luck!!!!

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Synthetics and wool are key. I started in Woolrich and cotton waffle weave long johns, felt shoes inside 'slush' boots and spent a lifetime learning how to finally stay warm.

Biggest mistake I used to see at camp, including myself as my elders died off, is to not ditch the 'tldy whities' or whatever underwear you wear daily.

That last little bit of absorptive material can ruin the best layers of poly pro, etc. on the coldest days.

I first tried Under Armor but not being a young 'flat stomach' kid any longer moved on to Duluth Trading's synthetic undies for the 'room' and lack of compression, and the 'system' finally worked.

Heed everyone's boot advise. all you need down to single digits is a 'GOOD' boot with thinsulate and a single pair of merlino wool socks. Your feet will thank you.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Try camofire.com they sell a lot of good clothing on there. They change what they are selling every day. You just have to check in every day to see what they have. They sell a lot of top end clothing for way cheaper than you can buy it elsewhere.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts