The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
19,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed on the DCNR website that the ATV trail from Sunken Branch to Lyman run, and Lyman to route 6, will be open for hunting on the 2nd week of deer.

Anyone use their atv to get back in there?

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
are you sure they didn't open it for vehicles? do they state it is for atv's? I think there is only one area you can use an atv at for hunting and that is whiskey springs in clinton county and it is for handicapped hunters. Atleast I beleive so. do you have a link john?

·
Registered
8,510 Posts
You may not utilize an atv on those unless you have a disability permit.

The trails closed to ATVs the last weekend in Sept. and will reopen the Friday prior to Memorial Day

·
Banned
19,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My apologies if I gave bad info. I didnt realize it was big enough for a regular vehicle, as I have never road on it. Just thought it was an atv trail. Sorry.

Here's the link:

DCNR open roads

Should have known once again the ATV is the Boogey Man. If it is an ATV trail all year long, why couldnt you use an ATV when it is opened???

Man, PA just absolutely hates ATV's, dont they? When I lived up in Maine, you could ride them anywhere, which generated huge tourism dollars, sales tax dollars, and small business jobs. But PA doesnt need any of that!!

·
Registered
736 Posts
John Henry said:
My apologies if I gave bad info. I didnt realize it was big enough for a regular vehicle, as I have never road on it. Just thought it was an atv trail. Sorry.

Here's the link:

DCNR open roads

Should have known once again the ATV is the Boogey Man. If it is an ATV trail all year long, why couldnt you use an ATV when it is opened???

Man, PA just absolutely hates ATV's, dont they? When I lived up in Maine, you could ride them anywhere, which generated huge tourism dollars, sales tax dollars, and small business jobs. But PA doesnt need any of that!!
John,you are right there PA hates atvs.Im not saying open every sgl to atvs but there are some that have extensive trails already through them yes they are there illegally. Make them designated atv trails like what is in marrienville and rocky gap.And have to pay for a seasonal permit for them trails, And Ifthey would doe this I woud be for shutting them down during hunting season.

·
Registered
8,510 Posts
Please lets not go into the atv trails on SGL debate....this place stays calm with no arguments...let em argue about that up in the General or Outdoors forum

I dont think Pa hates ATVs, I think that many feel that theres a place for them and its not where many hunters go to get away from the noise (Its hard to go anywhere in Pa to do that as well....LOL)

·
Banned
19,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just find it very ironic, that on one of the very few trails open to ATV's, during deer season, it is closed to ATV's, but open to 7000 pound F-350 Diesels!!

·
Registered
8,510 Posts
John...whats really ironic... those trails are open for archery/muzzleloader hunters to drive back...but closed during the first couple weekends of predator hunting...then open back up for general firearms deer again

·
Banned
19,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, that's what I am saying. Potter COunty has a gazillion old logging roads that are open to everything except ATVs. Theres like 3 or 4 open to atv's at times.

Then, in hunting season, they take two of the trails open to atv's, and allow hunters to use anything BUT atv's.

Our state is sooooooo stupid, seriously!!

·
Registered
8,510 Posts
I think theyre more worried that the recreational rider will just utilize the trails instead of the hunters sing them to get to a spot.
I kind of see both sides...I see where it would be nice if you hunted those areas, being able to utilize a tool and the access road, but I could also see it being a problem because there would be a bunch of none hunters riding just to ride, both sides present a good reason for and against it.

I dont hunt that area...I hunt private land and I can utilize my atv to assist with getting my game out (I am able to still walk where I want so using the atv is something I dont need to do yet just to get back and forth to the stand)
I do think if theyre going to open the roads up for truck traffic, they should open them up for the disabled hunter that uses the atv (must have a disabled permit)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts