The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I mentioned doing a "blast 'n cast" to someone last evening, as this would be a perfect time to hit the river in a canoe or kayak, catch some smallies, and clean up on the squirrels I've been seeing along the river all summer.

Firstly,are there any not-well-known legalities to this?

Secondly, the response I got from the person I mentioned it to, was pretty much, "If you're going to do it, you need to make sure you're completely still in the water before you shoot, otherwise you'll be "under power" and it's illegal". Is there any truth to that? Not that I'm talking about shooting squirrels from a kayak between paddle strokes, but dropping anchor every time you see a tree rat seems like a real pain in the butt.
Not to mention, it seems totally unintuitive for that to be a legal issue, when for their own registration purposes, kayaks and canoes are "unpowered watercraft" to start with.

·
Registered
9,696 Posts
I believe the "under power" clause pertains to when using a motor. Second, technically you'd have to have permission from each landowner to shoot at and retrieve game on their lands.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats what I thought about the "under power" thing also. The person I talked to seemed pretty adamant about the fact that even at a "drift", you're "under power". The info came to me third or fourth hand, by way of "I work with a guy who is married to one of the head game wardens" in some district of the state.

I thought of the permission thing also. Shouldnt be a problem in some areas, as there are SGLs and "open to hunting" company owned lands in a lot of areas, and the spots where I don't already know I can hunt, arent very good squirrel habitat.

·
Registered
982 Posts
The only time you are considered "under power" while drifting is if you have just shut off a motor. If you are paddling or drifting with the current,you are NOT under power. It is perfectly legal.

·
Super Moderator
23,760 Posts
I think forward momentum must be stopped before you can shot. I dont think your allowed to just float down a river and shot at targets of opportunity.

·
Registered
982 Posts
If you are using a motorized boat,and you shut off the motor,you cannot take a shot until "all forward motion has ceased". If you are paddling or drifting with the current,you can shoot at any time. It is no different than paddling a river or stream and "jump shooting" ducks!

Bob

·
Registered
11,284 Posts
TATERDAVID said:
I think forward momentum must be stopped before you can shot. I dont think your allowed to just float down a river and shot at targets of opportunity.
Sure you are. Sculling is also legal. BTW a great way to hunt.

·
Super Moderator
23,760 Posts
I may have to try this then.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts